Everything You Wanted to Know...

Monday, November 12, 2007 by
...about Laura Bennett But Were Afraid to Ask.


Before the madness of Season 4 sweeps us away, we wanted to check in with the best thing about Season 3, the gal whose fabulosity was the sole inspiration for this blog, and someone who we can rightfully call a good friend to us, the fabulously glamorous Laura Bennett. The night before we went to the runway show for S4 contestants, we hung out at Chez Bennett-Shelton and sat her down for an interview. There is no image that sums Laura up better than this: perched on a kitchen stool in a silver sequined cocktail dress with a plunging neckline, helping Truman with his homework, making sure we were plied with food and drink, nursing Finn and answering our questions - all at the same time. She's everything you think she is plus so much more.


Let's talk about your aesthetic. We hear so many times how your work is not innovative but at the same time, so many people love your clothes.
I admit it. My designs are not mind blowing, innovative, never-seen-before, going-down-in-the-history-books. But that being said, I feel that there is a place for elegant, woman-friendly clothing in this industry. Grown women relate to me and I relate to them.

Tell us about your new line for QVC, Little Black Dress? What's the concept behind it?
Everybody knows what 'little black dress' means. Simple, elegant, appropriate. The idea of the collection was to provide clothes that add a little glamour every day, clothing that makes it easy.

Why QVC?
I love the convenience of shopping off the Internet and I feel that TV shopping provides the same experience. Besides, you can reach so many women and most of my designs are simple visually but rich in detailing. It's a good venue to point out all the details and features.

You mentioned to us your concerns with costs and clothes being manufactured in China, the human right issues…
The garment industry is so price sensitive. I think that human rights policies in China are definitely a problem, but it is hard to compete without manufacturing abroad. At this point all I can do is be sure that the factories I work with provide fair wages and good working conditions for their employees.

When are you going to be on QVC?
My first appearance is in February, I will be showing a small spring collection.

Will the infamous Little Black Dress be available too?
I am working with QVC on that now. Because the proceeds go to benefit Dress for Success, I would like the dress to be continuously available on QVC’s web site, not just during my shows. Both the manufacturer and QVC have been very generous in trying to make this happen.

You also have a maternity line coming up, right?
I do have a glam maternity line designed, but I haven’t found the right home for it yet.

Tell us about the iVillage project. What's it like becoming a super heroine?
This is a really fun project. How flattering is it to become an illustrated character? When it was time to pick the illustrator, several illustrators sent their resumes and guess who was picked? Robert Best. I love his work and have wanted to do a project with him. Despite what Nina says, I don’t find him boring.

When are they going to start publishing it?
End of November, once a month, online.

Tell us about your experience as a guest star on Tim Gunn's Guide to Style.
It was fun. I didn't think Nicole necessarily needed a makeover. She had a perfectly acceptable casual style. I think she needed more of a reminder of her importance in the pecking order of her family. It is a mistake a lot of women make, focusing on everyone else and not taking time for themselves.

Who came up with the vest idea?
(Withering look) They did. I am still learning to follow my gut and just say no. The producers were looking for a visual example of the message I was trying to convey. I didn’t have a better solution.

Did you talk to Veronica Webb? What did you think of her?
I didn't spend much time with her. I mean, the time I spent with her was pretty much what you see on TV.

You looked very natural on the show/in front of a camera.
It's not as easy as it looks. I have gotten a lot of practice doing my MSN videos. I feel very comfortable in front of the camera now.

You mentioned you're considering television work.
Yes, I had this great idea for a TV show about the history of fashion, but several people told me it was boring, too intellectual. One person actually offered to put me in touch with people at the BBC. When I mentioned it to the producer of Tim’s show, he agreed it didn’t work but said he had a project I might be interested in, a fashion game show. I immediately said sign me up!

Why are you concentrating on a TV career as much as a fashion career?
Coming out of Project Runway, I had a 3-pronged career plan in mind: 1) to design and sell fashion. 2) To find a media project, a necessary evil in the design world these days. 3) And to have a charitable aspect to my business. Between QVC, The game show and comic strip, and Dress for Success I am well on my way.

Tell us about "winning" the Snoopy Challenge for the MetLife show – because you totally did. Was that important to you?
Loser's Syndrome. I am still trying to win Project runway! I took it seriously because it was for a great cause, and it was a great opportunity to show in Bryant Park.

From where we're sitting, it looks to us that – unlike quite a few of the PR alums, you're actually getting more offers instead of less a year after your season wrapped.
I expected a flurry of offers after the show but thought they would die down. It has taken a year, but the really great offers to fulfill my plan are just happening now. I held out for the right projects.

Alright. Two words. "Emmy" and "Dress"
Oh, that. Look, I was told that I was a minor celebrity and that I needed to do something wacky if I wanted to get noticed. I trusted the public relations people. They have the experience and they asked me to incorporate the "Dress Like You Mean It" tag line into my clothing. They kept saying I could pull it off. In the end I thought, "Nobody cares what I'm wearing." I don't have taste issues and I think people know that. It was a “nothing gained, nothing lost" situation, a neutral outcome.

It worked for them, they got millions of hits and you got fugged!
I was so excited to be fugged. My friend Patty Heaton called me and said "Oh, I'm so sorry, Laura." I LOVED it. I love that web site. I want a t-shirt that says "Proud to be Fugged." My eight year old worries what I wear now, he is afraid I will be fugged again, and my daughter Cleo was horrified.

You know what we're going to ask now, right? It's what everybody asks us.
Yes, go ahead, ask.

Do you still think that Jeffrey cheated?
If I had to do it over again, I would do the same thing. If he didn’t cheat then good for him. If he did, Karma is a bitch. That’s all I’m sayin’.



[Photos: ProjectRunGay/WireImage/Bravotv]


Post a Comment

66 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God she is so freakin' fabulous! There is so much ahead for her. I can't wait to see the spring line!

Anonymous said...

Robert Best. That just rocks!

Anonymous said...

Laura is freaking fabulous! I can't wait to buy her clothes on QVC.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous interview, guys! And what a nice surprise - Robert Best? Awesome.

Suzanne said...

How incredibly generous of her to donate the proceeds to Dress for Success!

I'll tell you this: no matter where she lives or who she is married to or how many nannies she may have (remember the "riding pants" entry of PRGay everyone?? LOL)I still think she is the least pretentious of all of them.

And Luara honey- none of us here ever bought for a SECOND that you thought of that lame vest thing....no worries .

GothamTomato said...

When I grow up, I want to be just like Laura.

And yep, karma is a bitch. That's why Laura is prospering while the Little Peanut is, um, where?

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

"
It worked for them, they got millions of hits and you got fugged!
I was so excited to be fugged. My friend Patty Heaton called me and said "Oh, I'm so sorry, Laura." I LOVED it. I love that web site. I want a t-shirt that says "Proud to be Fugged." My eight year old worries what I wear now, he is afraid I will be fugged again, and my daughter Cleo was horrified."



ROFL. LOVE HER! She's the best. Thank you, Boy! Fabulous, as usual.

Anonymous said...

Boys, please keep us updated about the maternity line.

NancyDaQ said...

Keep us posted about the clothing line and the LBD (I want one!) Laura is just so fab! Mwah!

Anonymous said...

"Tell us about "winning" the Snoopy Challenge for the MetLife show – because you totally did. Was that important to you?
Loser's Syndrome. I am still trying to win Project runway! I took it seriously because it was for a great cause, and it was a great opportunity to show in Bryant Park."


Darling, in my book, you won. You ARE the winner of PR S3. Best wishes, Laura!

Anonymous said...

I hope you won't forget about posting about Laura once Season 4 starts! We will still be needing our fix.

Do you boys know if Laura will be blogging again on the Bravo site or is she permanently on hiatus?

TFLS said...

Fabulous interview! You know - I've enjoyed reading your blog since the beginning. You guys are interesting, informed, funny as hell and always convey a real joy about your subject. Project Rungay is a pleasure to read, my friends.

And thanks for featuring the marvelous and talented Laura Bennett once again. It's always delightful to hear when nice people find the success they deserve - and that compliment is sincerely meant for both Laura and yourselves! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

life is ironic, isn't it?

according to this article of nymag:

http://nymag.com/fashion/07/spring/28148/

the winners of PR have not changed too much in their lives.
but the people who didn't win (kara saun, austin, daniel v, laura, malan, uli, michael) is building a road to make it in this industry.

go, laura, go!

Anonymous said...

Great interview, guys. I can always count on you to keep me updated on Laura's fabulosities.

" Anonymous said...

life is ironic, isn't it?

according to this article of nymag:

http://nymag.com/fashion/07/spring/28148/

the winners of PR have not changed too much in their lives.
but the people who didn't win (kara saun, austin, daniel v, laura, malan, uli, michael) is building a road to make it in this industry.

go, laura, go!"


That says a lot about the judging and the judges, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Laura is very talented and has an exquisite taste. I can't wait to wear one of her creations. All my friends who watch the show love Laura. She might not be what a 21-year-old girl wants to wear, but who cares? I do and am willing to pay good money for it.

Anonymous said...

Laura is the best thing that ever happened to PR (after Tim, of course).

I can't wait to buy the LBD. Any chance that we get first crack at it here?

--rain brain

Anonymous said...

Patty Heaton?

Was that a "name" drop or just a coincidence?

Anonymous said...

I've never bought anything on QVC in my life (stinks of tacky!), but I know I'm buying at least 1 outfit when Laura's line comes out. I adore her.

Emma P.

Robert Best as her illustrator, the cool that just keeps on coolin'...

Anonymous said...

brillant said...

Patty Heaton?

Was that a "name" drop or just a coincidence?


I don't think so, I remember reading an article awhile back where Patricia Heaton mentioned that Laura was one of her best friends. Gettyimages has pics of them posing together at the emmys as well.

Anonymous said...

>>Yes, I had this great idea for a TV show about the history of fashion, but several people told me it was boring, too intellectual. <<

Hold on to that idea!
I'd watch it. I'll put my
socio-economic stats on the
line. They'd want me! I'll support
every advertiser! Why can't we
have something intellectual once and a while?
(I'll stop whining now... :-)

Anonymous said...

Laura is truly inspiring. Thanks, guys, for posting that great interview!

Anonymous said...

I have never purchased anything from QVC, but I think I'm going to have to get that dress! Great interview boys, but what did she do for Halloween?
PS. I would love to see a program on the history of fashion.

GothamTomato said...

klausk said:
"That says a lot about the judging and the judges, don't you think?"



Possibly. But it also could have a lot to do with the competition, any competition, being just a moment in time; a snapshot. The Project Runway competition is a sprint, but a career is a marathon. It's the tortoise and the hare.

I would relate it to figure skating. The top 3 skaters of all time are: Kurt Browning, Michelle Kwan & Janet Lynn. What do these 3 have in common? None of them won the big prize: The Olympic gold medal. The gold, in their respective competitions, were all snatched by lesser skaters who have been quickly forgotten - while Browning, Kwan & Lynn have become legends.

Same will go here, with these PR designers. It's the marathoners who will win in the end (and since Laura keeps a turtle around the house, she has a daily reminder of that).

--Gotham Tomato

Unknown said...

"I want a t-shirt that says "Proud to be Fugged." LMAO! Gotta love a woman who can laugh at herself. I need to go ahead and put in my time off request for Laura's QVC day. And kudos to you guys on your interview skills. Reminds me of a line from Kathy Griffin when she was ragging on Oprah about her softball questions to Angelina Jolie: "I've got some QUESTIONS for Angelina Jolie!" You always ask the questions I want answered and that is a great skill. Can't wait to see the Robert Best illustrations for the online comic!

Anonymous said...

Did you get a picture of the silver sequin (nursing friendly) dress with the plunging neckline? I for one would love to see it.

Anonymous said...

Robert Best? If she starts hangin' with Skipper and Ken, I'll be so upset. On the other hand, she'll keep that little bitch in line. (And I do mean both of them).

Great interview. Smart lady. And I say that because a show about the history of fashion is something I would so watch. Maybe you need to go to the History channel to get that done, instead of Style or Bravo.

Anonymous said...

wannabe/rundeep said...
Maybe you need to go to the History channel to get that done, instead of Style or Bravo.


Yes, yes or PBS. Then she could be like the Ken Burns of fashion or Sister Wendy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a nice interview boys. I thought dear Laura was suspiciously absent from your visit to NYC for the PR4 Preview. She is just so nice, honest and glam and I love hearing about her.

I am planning on buying one of the "little black dresses" so don't forget to alert us when available.

Anonymous said...

Great interview, guys. It would be fun to hear Laura's unexpurgated take on Season 4 here on the ultimate Laura homage site.

I'd watch Laura talk about the history of fashion. I'd TiVo each episode and watch it 6 times. I can already imagine the fabulousness.

It's funny, one of my kids is now majoring in history at a major university, and her papers are fascinating to me because she is linking "teen trends" of whatever era she is discussing to politics, wars, your basic world events. I'm learning a lot just by reading my kid's take on history as seen through the eyes of teen angst. I'm not sure this will get her a job once she finishes her B.A., but I am finding her papers very entertaining. Expensive entertainment though, at least for the Mom paying the collge bills!

DolceLorenzo said...

OHMYGOD My diva is here!!!
Fabulous interview, boys. You know I would watch Laura read the phone book. : - )

Gorgeous Things said...

The Best with the Best! Love it!!!! Love Laura, love this blog!

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Laura!! SHe made the whole season last year! :D

BTW ... I use a weighted vest during my boxing class during cardio. I love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the interview. Great questions!

Thank you, guys!!

LauraK said...

Awesome interview T&L. Robert Best and Laura Bennett are two true supertalents. I can't wait to see Robert's illustrations.

Anonymous said...

Uli looks so beautiful with her hair down.

Anonymous said...

Love her. Covet that dress. And I'd watch the history of fashion, too.

Thombeau said...

Love her love her love her! And love you guys for sharing her!

Robert Best added to her gaggle of gays? FABULOUS!

Anonymous said...

Can we add some more questions of our own?

I would love to know what Laura dressed up as for Halloween this year and if she had a big party?

When do we hear who won the naming of her superhero strip? Or did I read somewhere that it will no longer be a strip, but an avatar? Update please.

Anonymous said...

"Sewing Siren said...

I have never purchased anything from QVC, but I think I'm going to have to get that dress!"


Same here : )
I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Great job, darlings! Laura is my hero!!

mjude said...

love laura, love the interview, love robert too :)

one can never get enough of fab laura.

thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Now we know why Laura prefers the plunging V neckline. Makes it so much easier to nurse the baby and sew at the same time!

Lilithcat said...

I'm very excited that her LBD is likely to be available continuously. Not merely because I know I'd miss it on QVC, but because of her reason for wanting that.

And I am delighted at the concept of her nursing in a silver sequined cocktail dress!

She was robbed.

Lilithcat said...

Klausk said: That says a lot about the judging and the judges, don't you think?

Oh, lord. I've just been watching the Season 2 marathon, and when you watch all the episodes one right after the other, it becomes even more mind-boggling that Santino got to the finals. What the judges were smoking, I can't imagine.

Anonymous said...

Granted, I would also watch anything that Laura did, but I think the history of fashion idea is super. Who wouldn't be interested in that perspective?

The same folks, I guess, who think that without staging a little drama no one would care about PR. Do they think we are all nitwits? Are they too young to remember Jackie Kennedy's tour of the White House?

Laura, pitch the idea to the history channel or PBS please!

Hope Laurie

Anonymous said...

What?!! You went to Laura's and didn't take any pictures? Not one? Would love to see that dress she was wearing and how big Finn is.
Thanks for the interview. You guys are getting pretty good at them.

Casey said...

What a huge treat. I've never watched QVC in my life, much less bought anything from it, but I'll be there for laura's designs. Wish the interview had been twice as long. Or longer.

Anonymous said...

So do I understand correctly? The LBD and the rest of Laura's collection will only be available to purchase when she is presenting it on the show Feb 6? And it will not be on the website? So, If we want it, we have to buy it at that time by phone? Do we all need to take a sick day on Feb 6?

kenko said...

Laura and Robert, oh god, I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that would be better than this, is if there is a Laura part two post tomorow.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I LOVED your Emmy dress.

-- desertwind

lisasabatier said...

OK, I really, really love Laura, but nursing a baby in a sequin cocktail dress? Um, why? Was she about to go out or something? If so, I totally understand that, but, otherwise, oh well, anyway, 2 more days and counting!

Gorgeous Things said...

LisaSabatier said...
OK, I really, really love Laura, but nursing a baby in a sequin cocktail dress? Um, why?

Well of course. Doesn't everyone? I did!
;-)

gacm said...

"OK, I really, really love Laura, but nursing a baby in a sequin cocktail dress? Um, why? Was she about to go out or something?"

Laura has said in interviews, TV, etc., that her ultra-fabulous dressing-up is her way of holding the line against the pressure of having a million children (OK, six) and becoming a total schlump.

Or maybe she was going out :)

Anonymous said...

Laura had mentioned designing sewing patterns at one time. Do you know if she is still planning that?

Anonymous said...

I think many people, not just fashionistas, would watch a show about the history of fashion. I know I would love to watch such a show and my fave outfit is schlumpy jeans and t-shirt :)

Laura is fab!

GothamTomato said...

"LisaSabatier said...
OK, I really, really love Laura, but nursing a baby in a sequin cocktail dress? Um, why?"



Um, for the right sequin cocktail dress I'd nurse someone else's baby.

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

Laura Bennett is one fabulous broad!!

Anonymous said...

I still love Laura, but I'm very, very disappointed in her decision to have her clothes manufactured in China. There are still a number of fashionable lines that are made in the U.S. and Canada. I know, because I wear them.

I find that "you can't be competitive" line to be something of a cop-out. We're talking about selling a line based essentially on her name recognitioin and her personality. If people want to wear her clothes, they'll be willing to pay for them to be manufactured in a safe, well-regulated workplace by people who earn a decent wage.

Bill said...

You Bitches so need to go on QVC with her! If you guys appeared with her even I would buy a Little Black Dress (provided that it comes in a 16 or 18).

Jenn said...

Sounds like she still believes the wil' peanut cheated! Good for her.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it does sound like she still thinks Jeffrey cheated. I honestly don't think he did. She should let it go. His designs were just better than hers. I think he would have won anyway, with or without help sewing the garments.

Anonymous said...

Laura still thinks Jeffrey cheated and I still think she's an entitled asshole. Funny how that works out!

Even T&L didn't think she should have won PR3, if I remember correctly.

Her whole shtick is annoying. Yes, Laura, it is admirable that you are so fabulous with all those kids but you know what? Most of us mothers don't have servants, as you do. And while I wholeheartedly endorse ALL women taking better care of themselves, I don't think Laura is the right messenger.

Anonymous said...

I have trouble reconciling Laura's overall fabulousity with her inability to admit that she made a mistake when she accused Jeffrey of cheating. That whole episode was ugly and it was amply demonstrated that she was wrong. I'm still looking forward to seeing more of her though.

Anonymous said...

I love her.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update....I really like Laura's message that we should all try to look fabulous everyday. Glad to know how well she's doing. She really stayed true to her aesthetic and despite not winning, it's paid off for her.