Nailing Tim Gunn - TO THE WALL!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 by
Darlings, we grabbed Tim Gunn, strapped him to a chair, and forced him to answer some questions about the insanity that is his life. Enjoy!

Congrats on your insanely fabulous year! The book, your own TV show, becoming the Chief Creative Officer at Liz Claiborne, Season 4 of Project Runway – darling, you sound like you need a nap! How are you keeping your head on straight (you'll pardon the term)?

Oh, Tom and Lorenzo! I’m ready for a hospital gurney and a one-way ticket to the nearest asylum. Seriously though, without the incredible support that I’m receiving from my boss at Liz Claiborne, Inc, the incredible Bill McComb, I couldn’t juggle all of these moving parts.



Tell us a bit about the show. How does it differ from other makeover shows on TV? What do you think of your co-host, the gorgeous Veronica Webb?

Guide To Style is a different iteration of makeover show. The individuals with whom Veronica and I work each week have self-declared their need for help, rather than being the object of an intervention. Veronica and I do not make decisions, nor do we drive up in a van full of clothes. We guide and support and, hopefully, educate. Yes, there is the inevitable shopping journey, but only after several days of lessons. And Veronica Webb? I don’t have an adequate vocabulary of accolades to describe her. And let me assert that she’s as brainy as she is beautiful.


Lately, one sees after your name the term "Style Expert" and yet that seems a little off to us. We would have classified you more as a "Design Expert." This isn't to say that you don't exhibit expertise in style – because of course, you do - but your real strength as a personality comes from your years as an educator of design. Is this a "rebranding" of Tim Gunn or have you always seen yourself as a style expert? What is the difference between being a design educator and a style expert?

Style expert? It must be a term used by others, because I would never give myself that moniker. I am a design educator, plain and simple. I have also been referred to as a “stylist.” Bull! Rest assured that there is no rebranding in effect.

What exactly does a Chief Creative Officer do and what are your plans for the Liz Claiborne brand?


In my role as CCO at Liz Claiborne, I interact with the designers across the myriad brands within the company (see www.lizclaiborne.com). A primary aspect of my role is to be an advocate at the executive level for the several hundred designers across those brands. Regarding Liz Claiborne Apparel, the founding brand of the company, its healthy future is a priority for me and the company. Liz Claiborne was a seminal force in American design and fashion merchandising and we are all determined to regain her legendary momentum.

What's next for Tim Gunn? World domination?

How about unpacking the several hundred boxes that have been sitting idle in my new apartment since my move in late May? That, and just keeping my head above water!

(Photos: Courtesy of Bravotv.com)

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Tim Gunn! I love him!

Anonymous said...

I love that he used the word "bull." LOL.

LauraK said...

FABULOUS interview, gentlemen! Can't wait for the new show.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how he can handle all those responsibilities. I can barely manage one job.

Anonymous said...

"Oh, Tom and Lorenzo! I’m ready for a hospital gurney and a one-way ticket to the nearest asylum."

Hahaha. Isn't he the best? I love him!!

Anonymous said...

most importantly, did you ask about his skin care regime???? that man's skin is TO DIE FOR.

Gorgeous Things said...

See? Tim's still unpacking from his move, so I think you can safely get zen about your move and just accept the fact you'll be up to your fabulous necks in boxes for the foreseeable future!

Oh, and Tim? Gorge!

mjude said...

whats not to love?

Anonymous said...

Tim's wonderful. I can never get enough of him!

Anonymous said...

Tim's the best part of Project Runway - let's give him his own network!

GothamTomato said...

"Nancy said...
Tim's the best part of Project Runway - let's give him his own network!"




I second that emotion! And I love that there are no airs & graces with our Tim - he has a great perspective on everything. That's why he the guru.

Oh, and Veronica Webb, aside from everything else she might be-- she has great looking arms in that photo!

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

Are they the perfect host and cohort or what? Together they just look like they're made to tell us we look like shit.

Emma P.

Anonymous said...

Well, you had someone else fabulous to commiserate with about moving!

I love Tim, but I fear he is in danger of overexposure or a heart attack. Let's pray for him.

Anonymous said...

"Are they the perfect host and cohort or what? Together they just look like they're made to tell us we look like shit.

Emma P. "

ROFL. Bring it on!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait, especially now that I know you guys are going to be blogging about it.

Anonymous said...

"And Veronica Webb? I don’t have an adequate vocabulary of accolades to describe her. And let me assert that she’s as brainy as she is beautiful."

She is FABULOUS!

Anonymous said...

"What exactly does a Chief Creative Officer do and what are your plans for the Liz Claiborne brand? "

I've always wanted to know that. Thank you for asking, guys!

Anonymous said...

How did you get Tim Gunn?!? Did Bravo call you?

DolceLorenzo said...

"What's next for Tim Gunn? World domination?

How about unpacking the several hundred boxes that have been sitting idle in my new apartment since my move in late May? That, and just keeping my head above water!"

LOL. LOVE HIM.

Anonymous said...

Tim is such a gentleman!

Anonymous said...

There's only one man that any woman would welcome into her closet...Tim Gunn.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about the new show, but it's mainly to see Tim Gunn again. And yes, Tim, tell us your beauty secrets.

Suzanne said...

If you tell me this was a FACE TO ACE interview I will just fall over and die!

Anonymous said...

oooh, I'd LOVE to help him unpack! Can you imagine what fabulous things he has?

Kudos to T&L for snagging the interview!

Anonymous said...

" Anonymous said...

oooh, I'd LOVE to help him unpack! Can you imagine what fabulous things he has?"

I volunteer to help you, Tim! : - )

Thombeau said...

LOVE TIM!!!

Thanks, guys, for keeping us in touch with THE MAN!

Anonymous said...

i love tim more and more with each passing snippet of info
CP

Anonymous said...

How fabulous! Great Q&A, Boys! I still remember your 'Ode to Tim Gunn' post. That's when I fell in love with you bitches.

Suzanne said...

BTW any idea when the premier of PR4 is?
This waiting is INSANE!

Anonymous said...

Tim's still adorable. And anything that doesn't get unpacked in the first 3 days doesn't get unpacked for months, maybe even years. Trust me on this one, boys.

Anonymous said...

His use of words is so wonderful. I love his vocabulary.

Anonymous said...

"If they made Tim Gunn Underoos, I'd have a drawerful."


I love Tim!!

Anonymous said...

.........

no seriously, i am waiting to hear about mr. gunn's skin care regime. if he says he bathes in the blood of a fresh young parsons student, i have a cousin in her second year there who i'm willing to sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

"no seriously, i am waiting to hear about mr. gunn's skin care regime. if he says he bathes in the blood of a fresh young parsons student, i have a cousin in her second year there who i'm willing to sacrifice."

R.O.F.L. That is so fucking funny, anon.

Anonymous said...

Where Tim goes, I will follow like a puppy dog. He's my last hope and being in California, all I can get is the televised version. *sadface*

Can't wait for the new show! Screw O-Chem! I'm taking that hour OFF!

Brandenburg3rd said...

Gotcha beat, Tim. I found some boxes in the front closet that haven't been opened since I moved in... in February.

2001.

Part of me is afraid, part of me hopes it will be a chorus of, "Oh, THAT'S where you went to!"

I do envy the man his glowing skin, but I know it's the result of time and dedication, and I'm too damned lazy. I'll just raise my iced tea in salute.

I. Can't. Wait. For. The. Show!!!

BigAssBelle said...

i want to know more about the new apartment.

and just in case tim reads this . . . honey, i know your heart was broken by a man. so . . . well, consider a switch. i can make myself available. j'adore sweet tim.

Anonymous said...

Precious darling man.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait! They're both wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

BTW, is Veronica Webb still modeling?
She's fabulous!