One Hundred and Eleven Minutes with Jay McCarroll

Friday, April 04, 2008 by
Season one Project Runway winner Jay McCarroll’s documentary Eleven Minutes will be having its world premiere tomorrow night in his current hometown (and ours), Philadelphia at (where else?) The Philadelphia Film Festival (April 5th and 7th). From there, it moves on to Toronto (April 24th and 25th), Boston (April 24th and 28th) and Miami (April 26th) and other soon-to-be-announced dates on the festival circuit.





Spanning a year’s time, the film documents the process that led to Jay’s post-Project Runway Bryant Park show Transport, and is, in the words of the film’s press kit, “an in-depth, painfully raw and humorous exploration of the creative process and the constant conflict of balancing commerce with art, fame with talent, and reality-TV with actual reality.”

Co-director/producer Rob Tate told us “The film is about the "process." (We almost titled it "The Process," but thought it sounded a little dry): The process of making clothes, putting on a runway show, making jewelry, shoes, styling hair... and also the process of documenting it all. I think that's one of the reasons it speaks to a larger audience of creative types: they tend to recognize the struggle and the need for (and often lack of) recognition. Talent is always important, but it's often not enough.”

“One of our goals was to tell Jay's story in decidedly NON-reality TV ways,” he continued. “We wanted the style, the look, the feel to be more along the lines of a narrative feature -- albeit a hand-held one. So... there are almost no "talking heads." Rarely does someone explain what is going on in narration or interview. The majority of what you see are actual scenes between the characters, and the audience is left to draw its own conclusions. We put nothing gratuitous in, and we give you enough information to put the story together. But we do not hold your hand through it. Because Jay surrounds himself with really funny and articulate people, the whole thing plays like a serio-comic narrative.”

Honestly, this sounds right up our alley. We’re (of course) going to the premiere and we can’t wait to see it. Since we live about a hundred footsteps from each other, we decided to have Jay over to talk about the film, his life, his career and anything else that popped up. We chatted a bit about Project Runway gossip, his upcoming QVC appearance, his line of fabrics and the launch of his new web site where you'll be able to buy his stuff, but all of that's for another post. Let's talk about the film.

“We (directors/producers Tate and Michael Selditch) did Project Jay together and we hit it off and they said ‘If you ever do a show, we’d love to film it," says Jay. "And the rest is really history. I called them up and said ‘I’m gonna do this show at fashion week,’ and they decided to follow me around. It was about a year-long process from start to finish. That’s the process of making a collection, you start with ideas and then you go all the way through the collection to selling and the aftermath. So, it’s from April to April of 2006. In the world of fashion, it seems like a hundred years ago.”

Jay, who’s got that rare gift of being completely comfortable in front of a camera, seemed to enjoy the long shoot. “I mean, they didn’t follow me around every day; just when I would do something. So I would meet with the hair guy or go fabric shopping or go to a factory or whatever, and they would follow me around. It was really fun; the beginning stages of getting stuff together, working with my assistants, to hair and makeup, the guy who made shoes, jewelry, fit models, all the fittings, all that stuff. Getting stuff made overseas, getting stuff made in New York and then all the way through the show, all the PR and bullshit and goes through that and then all the way to sales, where it went *thppt*. I mean,” he says with a laugh, “do you see the clothes on sale anywhere?”

Does that mean he doesn’t think the clothes were marketable? “No, it was marketable. It’s just, there’s only so much you can do with you and four people you can’t pay. Sales is its own demon and I’m not that business-minded. It was a learning experience. That was all.”

From the minute Jay entered the public eye, it’s been nothing but a series of learning experiences for him. We would never be so presumptuous as to say that we know Jay well, as that would be a disservice to the family and friends who have seen him through times good and bad. On the other hand, we know him better than you do and we have to say, there isn’t anyone associated with Project Runway who is more misunderstood than he is. He is funny, charismatic, warm, and self-deprecating. The intentionally shocking, occasionally vulgar persona you see on camera or in print is only a small part of the whole and one of the things we feel doesn’t come across strongly enough in all of Jay’s various misadventures with the press is how utterly charming he is.

And make no mistake, he may have pissed off New York Magazine last year when he fooled them into thinking he was homeless on the streets of New York, but the press clearly LOVES him. When we were at Bryant Park, media figures of all types were practically stomping on each other to get to him. You would have thought he had just shown a new collection the way they were clamoring for his attention. Speaking of which, why HASN’T he shown a new collection since 2006?

“I don’t know. It was a lot of pressure. I had so much pressure on me because it was the first collection from me, the first collection from any Project Runway person at Bryant Park. It was just a lot of pressure. I don’t think I would NEVER do it again, I just don’t care enough to want it. I don’t live and breathe fashion the way these other people do, so it’s – I think it just has to be the very core of your being to do it on that level – at Bryant Park. You have to have a huge infrastructure and a great business mind in order to push a label – ask anybody.”

The lack of what he calls “an infrastructure” coupled with what he felt were unrealistically high expectations on the part of the public played a big part in his seeming retreat from the center of the fashion industry. “For American Idol, they just go in a fucking recording studio and they sing. I needed business managers and cutting tables and just that whole infrastructure that you need to start a line. The American public doesn’t want to hear that something like that takes time. A hundred thousand dollars would not get you a thing – anywhere. And it pains me to watch these shows where people get a million dollars for fucking opening up a briefcase.”

Of course, Jay didn’t have a hundred thousand dollars to start off. When he won Project Runway, to the shock of many, he turned down the prize money. When we asked him if he wanted to go on record as to why, he smiled, leaned in and said in a deep voice “No comment.” For Jay of all people to clam up, it’s a pretty good indicator that he really can’t talk about it. Nonetheless, we prodded him about his feelings on the situation. “I’m happy to have been the experiment and I’m happy to have the focus on someone else so I can fade into obscurity. Well, not fade into obscurity. Hopefully I can go off and do my own thing.” We pointed out that there are a lot of misconceptions about that decision and the aftermath of it. “People say ‘Oh, he’s so bitter,’ and I’m not bitter. It was like a blip of my life. If I was bitter, I wouldn’t go to the finale parties, I wouldn’t go to the (runway) show, I wouldn’t support the, you know, the machine. I think it’s a great idea and I think it’s entertaining.”

This inevitably leads us to our next question: Does he still consider himself part of the fashion industry? “I’m definitely keeping open to moving in different parts of it. I feel like I was really pushed, like, into the shoes of being the next Michael Kors and I had to live that experience, I had to go through the process of doing this film, doing a collection to realize that I just – I just love fabric and texture and color. Now, that could come in housewares; I could design fabric; it could be children’s wear; I could design sportswear, whatever. I didn’t necessarily want – I was never a high-end fashion designer. If I just make my little t-shirts and bags, I could be totally happy with that. And there’s a huge market for that. It’s very alienating to make ten thousand dollar gowns and that’s never been me and from day one I just always loved the GAP sales rack."

But, we point out, he did attempt to make a red carpet gown for Heidi to wear to the Emmys which she famously rejected at the last second, as documented in Project Jay. “I didn’t want to do that. I’m not a designer like that. From day one I wasn’t comfortable doing that, but it was for the sake of Project Jay and it was for the sake of trying to strike while the iron’s hot. Which is fine. Whatever. I made my peace with all that. And actually it seems like 4 lifetimes ago.”

“I’ve got to get myself to a place where I feel the artistry of it again. And I lived for 15 years with those thoughts, when I was in school, when I was traveling abroad, working abroad. When I was just making clothes for the love of it and for the art of it, and what the show did for me - and it was great exposure and a great lesson for me to learn - but it showed me the icky side of the industry and the weirdos, the weird people that you have to deal with and the energy suckers who are like ‘We love fashion! We follow Balenciaga’s every move!’ and it’s like, I’m not that kind of person. Those people are hard for me to swallow, those self-proclaimed ‘fashionistas.’” He spits that last word out with no small amount of disdain, but softens a bit. “I don’t know, I love road trips, I love flea markets, I love sleep, I love television and I can’t imagine working 20 hours a day on, like, a silhouette, or a shoe or a ‘really important jean.’ But I love clothes and I love fabric, texture and color, and anything I can put that into without the pressure of having to be innovative every six months - I just think that’s a debilitating process for a fashion designer. Every six months you have to come up with new ideas and the copying and regurgitating and reiterating and ‘Florals are in!’ ‘No! Florals are out!’ And trying to tell everyone they need to have a little black dress in their closet. It’s just … wear what you want to wear, have good dinner parties, you know? Like there’s a much bigger picture than that little world that I was being pushed into.”

If that sounds a bit hippy-dippy, you’re not far off. At his heart, Jay’s a simple aesthete in patchouli. One who just happens to be insanely creative and thrust into a spotlight for which he was completely unprepared. And while he may have displayed some of his frustrations with his situation publicly, he has no anger or bitterness over the situation. He’s simply someone who wants to create and make people happy with his creations. He’s not someone who can talk about strategies or business plans or even about trends. So why would someone like that try out for a show like Project Runway?

“I don’t know,” he says with a laugh. “I had a vintage shop, I knew I was like, perfect for television, I knew I was a decent designer and I was looking for something to do that summer.” Despite his seeming laid back attitude going into it, we pointed out to him that at some point it became obvious that his attitude shifted and he wanted to go all the way with it. He laughs again in response. “That was a result of being brainwashed and having no other stimuli but that for 30 days straight. And you can ask anybody, from like day one they’d say ‘Do you want to win? You want to win. You’re a winner. Do you want to win this competition?’ But,” he says brightly, “it was fun, the show itself was awesome.”

But what would he say if a budding designer asked him if they should do the show? “Oh, yeah! It’s exposure that you would never, ever, in one hundred zillion years ever get to get unless you were a specific person in the right place at the right time. Like, Marc Jacobs, 1993, at the height of grunge. But where were the other 40,000 designers that came from FIT, Parsons, Philadelphia University during that whole ten-year period of time? Marc Jacobs was the only one that came out of it. And it’s the same with us on the show.”

We had somewhere to be and the clock was winding down on our little chatfest. Knowing that we were running late, Jay offered to drive us there. As we walked to his car, he talked more about why he chose Philadelphia over the self-proclaimed fashion capital of the world, New York City.

"I got an offer to teach at Philadelphia University and I was all over it. I’m a country person and every morning I woke up and all I saw was pine trees. And just yearned for – I can have a car now," he says. "I have a cat, I have a great apartment. And I feel like I was living in a box in New York and the pace was crazy and there was too much pressure. And I was like 'One day, I’ll alleviate the pressure.' And I have now. I’m, like, so chill in Philadelphia. I have a much more peaceful life now. So I was asked to teach this class at Philadelphia University and it was just the perfect chance for me to get out of there and to have something to do that was stimulating and giving back."

He stops to talk with a little old lady about the public park renovation going on in our neighborhood and then grows a little pensive as we approach his car (with a vanity plate that reads "Ask me about my grandchildren"). "I don’t know, I was just dealing with so many people there that I just didn’t like their personalities. So I just ran away from everybody. And now everything’s on my own terms and surprisingly," he says with another laugh, "everything’s picking up."

[Photos: Courtesy of jaymccarrolldocumentary.com/WireImage/Michael Persico/philadelphiaweekly.com]


Post a Comment

83 comments:

Anonymous said...

You boys are fabulous!! Thanks for this warm interview with Jay. Love you all,
Me2

TheNYCourier said...

We have to wait until June here in NY!!!!!

Tell us how it goes, guys!

DolceLorenzo said...

Fucking awesome post, guys! I cannot wait to see the film!!

Anonymous said...

Great article/post, kittens! I'm glad Jay is happy. Go Jay!!! I love you!!

FashionFanatic said...

Fantastic interview, guys! Now I definitely want to see the documentary.

Beth said...

I love him.

Beth said...

PS Boys, New York Magazine can kiss your ass. This entry was a much better read than anything I have scanned in that rag in a long time. Kudos.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how glad I am to have read this... this is probably the most introspective interview that I've read on Jay so far, and hopefully Eleven Minutes will come down to DC.

Sometimes you've just got to do what makes you happy and to hell with everyone else. That's a good lesson for everybody to learn.

Anonymous said...

This is why I love Jay..

"Every six months you have to come up with new ideas and the copying and regurgitating and reiterating and ‘Florals are in!’ ‘No! Florals are out!’ And trying to tell everyone they need to have a little black dress in their closet. It’s just … wear what you want to wear, have good dinner parties, you know? "

This is the best fit I have found to the way I feel about fashion. I love clothes and I love the "art" and expression of it but I think the fashion industry takes itself too seriously...the "machine" as he calls it. Jay's clothes (for the most part) really apeal to my asthetic, they are usually casual and comfortable looking with a fun quirkiness to them. I saw the Transport collection you linked to and there are some looks I just LUV! I hope that QVC thing will work out...I think I would actually pay good money for some of his looks. Oh who am I kidding, it's my husbands good money ;P

Unknown said...

As always, a great post. And since I've finally gotten the nerve to start to learn to sew, to hear that Jay is going to have a line of FABRICS is fantatic! I can't wait to get my hands on that!

Anonymous said...

Hold the phone. TLo, did you write this? I read all the way through thinking you were quoting someone else's interview of Jay, and then I realized YOU wrote it.

That is one fine piece of work gentlemen. Very fine.

As for the subject, I would kill to see this film. I'll just wait right here until it comes to Salt Lake City, Utah. Waiting. Right here. I'm sure it will show up any minute now.

Jay has always reminded me very much of my oldest daughter and I am very fond of him for it. I applaud his courage to put his truth to film and then allow the rest of us to watch.

Anonymous said...

What a great interview! I have always wondered about the real Jay behind the persona. You did a great job of giving us a peek. I am so glad that he is comfortable with where he is and what he is doing. Sounds like a better deal to me, too!

Suzanne said...

he is insanely intelligent. That became even MORE apparent after reading his Elle blog. By far the biggest innate talent PR has ever seen, maybe that it'll ever see and we still use him as the reference point for all things textile and design ( eg: he's good but he's no Jay McCarroll). He's hilarious without ever TRYING to be ( unlike certain other designers who shall go unnamed ) Not to mention he ( spins? Twirls? I always forget the verb)a mean flag. I am going to make it my business to see this film in Miami.

Anonymous said...

What a great read! You guys are the best. Jay is the reason why I got hooked on the show. I'll never forget him saying to the camera "I didn't steal the bitch's dye." It was there and then that I fell in love with him and Project Runway.

Anonymous said...

"I think that's one of the reasons it speaks to a larger audience of creative types: they tend to recognize the struggle and the need for (and often lack of) recognition. Talent is always important, but it's often not enough."

So true, especially in the fashion industry. I'm a model, I see that happening all the time.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jay! Thank you SO MUCH for this fabulous interview.

Anonymous said...

Excellent interview, guys! I love everything you do, but this was by far the most insightful, thoughtful, introspective, intelligent and altogether delightful interview I've ever read with the divine Jay McCarroll. I especially respect the fact that it wasn't a fluff piece and you did ask the hard questions. Love him! Love you, too.

Btw: I'm gettin' out my grooviest film festival looks 'cause I'm going to the premiere at the Prince Theater! Woo-hoo! Planning on attending the after-soiree as well. I'm so psyched I can hardly keep it together until tomorrow night.

P.S. Elizabeth Wellington, our lovely local fashion writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote the bitchiest and most irrelevant review of "Eleven Minutes." Instead of commenting on the film itself she chose to list Jay's unrealized projects and suggested that he spend less time in front of the camera and more time designing. Guess that's what happens when you don't actually see films you're asked to review and claim to be a film critic. And a snarky bitch. Who knows. Maybe she's mad that you guys scooped her oportunity to interview Jay about the new documentary.
Ciao. And hope to see you both tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

I didn't bother to provide a link to EW's review of Eleven Minutes because not only is it especially foul, but like I said, it really has nothing to do with the film itself.

Anonymous said...

Please please tell us where we can buy Jay's creations! I abso-friggin-lutely love the way he plays with colors and shapes and patterns in his clothes. It just makes me happy looking at them.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the film! By far one of the best interviews on this site. Thank you, guys!

Anonymous said...

Jay is indeed a talented designer. I wish him great success.

Anonymous said...

There's a fantastic review in the City Paper:
Two Checks = "Highly Recommended"

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2008/04/03/week-one-reviews#elevenminutes

"Eleven Minutes

Michael Selditch's Eleven Minutes chronicles Project Runway alum Jay McCarroll's frantic scramble to produce Transit, a collection of transportation-inspired clothing for New York's spring 2007 Fashion Week. Despite working with almost no money and in the unpleasant company of a flock of PR and industry bitches, McCarroll maintains his cool and sense of humor. Even when breaking down, he's charmingly self-conscious and aware of how little a patterned trench coat matters at the end of the day. He compares 11 minutes — the short time his runway show will actually take — to "a long shit" and confesses that all he wants to do in life is run a bed-and-breakfast with his boyfriend and dog. Ultimately, the film is a sweet look at the larger-than-life McCarroll, a terrifying intro to the fashion industry and 100 minutes of really beautiful clothes. —Monica Weymouth"

Jamie Doom said...

You guys probably know this already, but just in case you didn't, Julie Andrews is making an appearance to promote her book today (Saturday 4/5/08) at noon at Macys on Market. I so loved reading you guys tear up Victor/Victoria, so I felt obligated to make sure you were aware.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nice piece of writing guys, but (and here I prepare myself for the inevitable attacks) please don't get too much into the habit of writing these news magazine style pieces. Part (most) of what I love about your blog is your wonderfully conversational, fabulously catty comments - don't let your voice which has been so gay and original fade into generic journalist.

Anonymous said...

What a refreshing guy. It must take tremendous character to be true to yourself in that industry. There is definitely more to Jay than meets the eye. I cant wait to see the film. A wonderful piece of writing - I read your blog faithfully.

Suzanne said...

BTW TLo- great job on this.....move over Barbara Walters.

Sewing Siren said...

Great interview, thanks for sharing.
I love Jay, and I didn't even watch season #1 (but I did follow it here last summer). I couldn't agree with him more about the fashion industry. It kind of sucks, but I still love clothes.
I bet Jay is a phenomenal teacher. I would love to take a class with him.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous, thanks, boys. As Jay mentioned, he can create designs for various segments in the fashion industry, he doesn't have to be designing $10,000 gowns to be considered successful in the industry.

Anonymous said...

You guys sure could analyze and the write the s... out of Jay's journey up until this point.
I love that you didn't go down the tortured artist route, and that the article ended up in such an optimistic note.
You've made me see Jay as someone who, without having it all figured out, knows at least what could ultimately make him a better guy and artist.
I just hope the documentary goes along those lines too.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Toronto and my friends and I are waiting in eager anticipation to see Jay's documentary. Will he be here too? I'd love to see him in person.

Anonymous said...

You lucky bitches get to meet Jay. I bet he's a lot of fun to be around.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic interview, guys! I love, love, love Jay, and it's clear that you write about him with true curiosity and respect. Your blog continues to rock in all things PR - many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh please. I am so over Jay. He may be insanely talanted and a genius but he sounds like he needs to be medicated. That depressing interview read like a journey through the Bipolar mind. He sounds like a typical depressed urbanite lost in a sea of humanity.

If Jay wants to be remembered as a reclusive genius issuing one or two paradigm shifting creations from his hermitage over the course of his life, well then he is on the way.

Otherwise, get some sleep, get some exercise, get some meds and get to work. That's how everyone else does it and that's how he will have to do it as well. Wow. life's hard. Didn't need 26 paragraphs to point that out.

Anonymous said...

Jay is fabulous. I love him.
And I thank him for being so honest about the fashion industry.

Anonymous said...

Otherwise, get some sleep, get some exercise, get some meds and get to work. That's how everyone else does it and that's how he will have to do it as well. Wow. life's hard. Didn't need 26 paragraphs to point that out.

If you'd actually read some of them you'd see he's teaching, launching a line on QVC, designing a line of fabrics and launching a new website with merchandise. If that's not getting to work, what is?

Sewing Siren said...

Anonymous said...

Otherwise, get some sleep, get some exercise, get some meds and get to work. That's how everyone else does it and that's how he will have to do it as well. Wow. life's hard. Didn't need 26 paragraphs to point that out.


You counted the paragraphs?
How many paragraphs have TLO written since they started this blog? Just wondering...OCD.

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous said...

Oh please. I am so over Jay. "

If you're so over Jay you shouldn't have wasted your time reading "26 paragraphs" or even commented on this post. "Get some sleep, get some exercise, get some meds," and come back here when then boys have added a new post. "That's how everyone else does it."

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! I just got my ticket, hopefully I'll get to meet you boys and fabulous Jay!

Anonymous said...

I'm very excited about this film since I've always wanted to know more about the whole process of designing, producing and selling a collection.

Here's a very interesting Q & A with the directors of the film:

"QUESTION: Why did you decide to do a documentary about Jay McCarroll?

SELDITCH & TATE: We met Jay after being hired by Bravo to make Project Jay, an hour special on the Project Runway first winner. After directing quite a bit of non-scripted television, we found it refreshing to document a person who spoke his mind freely, regardless of whether the camera was rolling or not. Jay's blend of creativity and insecurity is not only compelling and entertaining, but very relatable to many struggling artists. The three of us became good friends, and when Jay told us his plans to show at Fashion Week and create his first independent line, it was a no-brainer to continue to document him on our own.

QUESTION: When Jay won Project Runway he ended up turning down the $100,000 grand prize prize, a mentorship from Banana Republic and a spot at the 2005 New York fashion Week. He did this because of a clause stipulating that the producers of Project Runway would make 10 per cent of every professional project he works on indefinitely. If Jay had taken the money and prizes, do you think he would be more successful or less successful than he is now?

SELDITCH: Pretty much the same.

TATE: Arguably less so, as turning them down has gotten him a lot of attention that still resonates today.

QUESTION: Jay states that his success was based 90% on his hard work, talent, personality and 10% from being on Project Runway. In what way do you think his assessment is right or wrong?

SELDITCH: Jay also states in the film that he would absolutely "never be showing in Bryant Park had it not been for Project Runway. We are all in agreement that he needed that break to be where he is now. But, now it should be about the work, and many many people, including myself, feel he still delivers.

TATE: I'd like to re-frame this question. Percentages aside, would the first season of Project Runway -- the season that put it on the map, got it its first Emmy nomination, and set it apart from other realty shows -- would it have been the same without Jay McCarroll? I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Jay had a good deal to do with the show's original success.

QUESTION: Throughout the film it appears as though Jay lacks self-confidence and is full of fear and self-doubt. One of his biggest fears involves falling on his face and having people in the fashion industry brush him off or have little regard for him because he won a reality television series. In retrospect, do you think his fears about this were relevant?

SELDITCH: I think all artists go through similar self criticism and evaluation about their work. It's the artists who stop and become overly confident that lose their edge and simply go through the motions. Yes, I think his fears were relevant, and the fact that he is not afraid to show those fears is one of the things that makes him compelling to many people.

TATE: It kind of makes you realize that just because a reality show calls you "the next great American designer," it doesn't make it true.

QUESTION: Jay ultimately lands funding from the Humane Society of America for his collection. He’s against fashion designers using fur to create clothing and wants to pressure other designers, especially the younger ones, not to use it. Jay states that working without fur only pushes one to work a little bit harder to be more creative. What overall impact has Jay made in this area?

SELDITCH: His message is clear to me, but I'm not a fashion designer. You'd really have to ask young designers if Jay's passion is enough to move them to stop using fur.

TATE: Sadly, I'm not sure it's had any effect. Though I do hope fur is on its way out.

QUESTION: What do you hope audiences will learn about the fashion industry through this film?

SELDITCH: It's really a tough industry -- an industry with very short memory, and not a lot of loyalty. Plus, it is an industry that requires an enormous amount of financial backing to launch a new line.

TATE: I think the film uses the fashion industry as a proxy for many creative industries. And in any creative industry, it's difficult to balance the art with the commerce.

QUESTION: What do you want audiences to take away from your documentary?

SELDITCH: We set out to make a film that shows the "process." All art forms rely on a process -- from acting to architecture, the journey is not apparent from seeing the end results. This is one of the reasons that we chose to be transparent about our own process of making the documentary. Jay is the perfect mixture of huge talent, and deep personal conflict -- whether it is about his craft or his own life, and many artists relate to that.

TATE: Things don't often turn out the way you want them to."

lisasabatier said...

Thanks guys, very enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

If it's one thing that Project Runway teaches you it's that “talent” is only one small fraction of success.

Anonymous said...

In my own business I have struggled for years trying to manage the business, and the money myself. The biggest obstacle for a new designer wanting to start a line is how to finance it. It is tough to find a backer without a proven track record of sales and it is nearly impossible to get a track record without a backer.

Anonymous said...

"Speaking of which, why HASN’T he shown a new collection since 2006?"

Most people watching Project Runway have no idea of what it takes to make it in the fashion industry. In a way, I blame the show, the producers for not giving the proper support and mentoring these designers need. I hope they do a much better job with Christian Siriano, otherwise he's going to crash and burn like most of them do.

igotmoxie said...

Oh I love him....I would walk over hot coals to work with Jay.

I think....

I'd probably have to look at the coals first, but I'd definitely consider it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a marketing major and I remember when I worked on a fashion show for the first time. I said to myself: 'That's it? All this work for just 12 minutes?' It's insane, you really have to want it badly.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm going to try to see it on Monday. Thanks for the heads-up, guys!

Anonymous said...

This film has been on my radar for quite awhile now, and I am very excited that I will not have to wait much longer to see it.

Anonymous said...

LOVE Jay. And LOVE you boys for this wonderfully revealing interview! Bravo : )

Thombeau said...

Great post, guys!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like he's happy, and that is an great achievement. Thank you for the interview, Tlo!

Anonymous said...

I love Jay!!! He's still my favorite designer on the show. I wish him the best!!

Milla said...

I love me some McCarroll...
He seems to have a really healthy dose of common sense and humility which is really refreshing in fashion.
I agree with him and I do not understand WHY fashion has to be centralized to places like New York.
If the jobs were multitudinous and they payed enough to afford life there, maybe I could justify it. Shoot you cannot find a decent place for less than 2500k a month there. That's ON CRACK. I pay 735 bucks for a work-live space :-)
But fashion is not about the place where it is created, you know?
I mean Chloe choose to stay in Houston, and Jay in Philly and that is way cool.
I am in Diego and the fashion scene is pretty non-existant. In OC there is just the whole "surfer/ active wear" thing going on and LA is mostly about the luxury denim/ LA rocker/punk thing and a couple of other things.
But I like it here because my family is here and the weather is beautiful. I can go into production in TJ for a lot less money and provide people with jobs and education and job skills so they don't have to cross over and get treated terrible or put themselves in danger by crossing illegally.
And really the Vortex of the plus-size fashion scene is in Cali, London, Toronto and Portland , OR...And really NY Fashion Week is kind of... I don't know not as fun as it used to be. London is more my speed. It seems more artistic and daring and open-minded and less "business" oriented.
Jay is awesome and hilarious and I am very pleased that he is happy and doing well. I adore the guy.
Love,
Milla

Milla said...

I meant 2500$

NahnCee said...

I wonder how Wendy Pepper would have handled it had SHE been the winner of the first season.

Rainwood said...

I have to admit I've always had a soft spot for Jay. Even when he seemed to be overly pissy. Even when he seemed to be self-defeating. Even when he seemed to drop off the radar. And now it's clear that all of those things were part of the journey Jay had to make to find the place where he can be both creative and happy. I like his attitude about fashion. I hope he achieves the level of success he wants.

And thanks for the great story. You guys are the best.

GothamTomato said...

As I've said before, fame (especially instant fame of the TV variety), doesn't come with an instruction manual. The pitfalls of it are many and insanely difficult for the creative personality to traverse.

Kudos to Jay for being shoved into that reality show/fame meatgrinder and emerging sane and with his down to earth character in tact.

BTW, I hope you boys do more interviews with PR alum (at least the ones I like). Your profile/interview of Jay was the best I've ever seen of him. Just shows to go you that intelligent celeb coverage isn't dead - it just isn't living in the traditional bigtime media. It's living in a blog from Philly.

--GothamTomato

GothamTomato said...

BTW, I still say that Jay's final runway show remains the standard against which all others are judged.

He made that show a hit. (And I also still say that Bravo should give him 100K, under the newer terms. It would be the decent thing to do).

--GothamTomato

Anonymous said...

Fantastic interview, TLo. Beautiful

Jay! -- Can you hear me? -- Can't wait for your new website. Keep us posted. Hope you sell your own textile designs there 'cause I'd love to buy your fabric (for my own use as tablecloths & curtains).We love you, Big Guy, and love your color and design. Good luck.

-- desertwind

Anonymous said...

To NahnCee @ 6:36 PM

Woof! What a thought.

-- d'wind

Suzanne said...

"TokyoDoll said...
Most people watching Project Runway have no idea of what it takes to make it in the fashion industry. In a way, I blame the show, the producers for not giving the proper support and mentoring these designers need."

I thought every season offered a mentorship or an internship as one of the prizes?

Milla said...

"Mentorship" does not = job"..
I wish there was kind of a "go-see" challenge like they do for model shows where the designers go on job interviews with their resumes, portfolios, etc to major design houses or whatever needing head designers and with financial backers.
Then based on their body of work they could be told who would be hired for the position or find backing for their line.
Maybe a good prize would be head designer for a major label. Most big time designers usually do that before getting their own.
A few get their own labels going right away but it is a hard thing to do and wroking for a major label helps with experience and to build a reputation in the industry.

Anonymous said...

Loved the enlightening interview on Jay.
You boys are the best-- journalism isn't dead!
Are you sure that you didn't go to the Murrow School?

I can't wait for the movie-- hopefully it will make it out to Seattle. Jay we'd love it if you came too!

Anonymous said...

Now why oh why did Jay turn down the $100,000?

The Amazon Princess said...

Oh I hope the film does well enough to make it out to the west coast. I'd love the be able to see it.

Thanks TLo for keeping tabs of the Fabulous Mr. Jay :-)

VeganD said...

Excellent interview, and excellent film! It was great meeting you guys at the premiere tonight! Thanks for a very informative, funny and entertaining blog!

Sewing Siren said...

How was the premiere?
~~~~~~~~
I sincerely hope one of the "to be announced" cities will be Charlotte, NC. Us hayseeds need fashion love, too.

Ms Sangrail said...

Fabulous, guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey, TLO!

It was so great to finally meet you both at the premiere last night! Meeting you guys and Jay truly made for a fabulous evening for my teen daughter Allie & me. Thanks for being so weet and hanging with us after the screening. Can't wait to read you re-cap or review of the film.

P.S. Hey vegand & William! Loved meeting you both. It's nice to meet devoted & cool fans at events like last nights. And vegand, I want that dress!!!

-cathy-
aka edina monsoon

Anonymous said...

Thanks, TLO, for this interview! Jay remains our favorite designer of Project Runway. His invention and color sense is superb, his onscreen personality and blogging infinitely entertaining! Love that Big Jesus from Pennsylvania!

Mom said...

Fantastic interview, thank you! You obviously asked great questions and then listened. I have no objections whatsoever if you choose to sprinkle in-depths like these amidst the bon mots and pix!

Anonymous said...

What the hell would a "really important jean" be anyway???

Casey said...

agreeing wholeheartedly with agnesgooch. interviews this well done are always a treat. fine, fine job.

Brooke P. said...

The best read I've had on the internet in a while. I love me some Jay (and you two, of course). Thanks for this.

Anonymous said...

I love the article, guys! Jay is still my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I saw you guys last night but I was too shy to say hello. I can't wait to read your take on the movie :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the movie. I hope it travels to other cities. Keep us posted, guys. Jay rocks!!

Anonymous said...

Wow I'm late to respond on this

TLo-Very thoughtful interview.

I've screened this film for our film festival in Austin and hope to get in included. It is a first rate documentary filmed on a good budget and expertly shot.

The filmmakers did the right thing in presenting everything in mainly a narrative form and trying to show everyone in a complete and honest fashion.

There are people Jay interacts with who are both helpful and combative. Jay is Jay. He can be charming, bitchy funny, decent and oh so creative. He can also be extremely insecure, unfairly difficult, frustrating, hostile and naive.

They present a compelling view of his journey to get the collection done and they give a very clear picture about why it failed to hit the markets.

Even if this does not make a festival near you, it is very likely it will get a DVD distribution. It's that well done and that entertaining.

Frank

Anonymous said...

Fabulous interview, Tlo! You guys are fantastic and that's why I come here everyday even if I don't post often. This is undoubtedly the best profile of Jay I've seen out there, and that's why I love this blog so much: it's cleverly witty, hysterically funny, uncensored, informative and deliciously gay. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

You guys are amazing. That was a better interview, and I think a more rounded picture, than we ever would have gotten from a paid journalist. I'm so glad to "know" you through this blog, and Jay through your fabulous interview.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say thank you for this terrific, in-depth interview. The questions you asked were spot on.

Anonymous said...

Fashion can be a brutal business. The high competitiveness and the pressure to succeed can drive anyone crazy. I could never do it.

Anonymous said...

You guys are really great. Thanks for the great interview, the info about the film so I would know about it, and for the picture with the two of you last night. It was really great to meet you.

-William, with the blue hair.

Marian S. said...

See... I've always loved Jay because he loved design more than fashion. This interview cemented what I think I always knew. On the show I always felt like he was just having fun with putting things together, and I completely support that.

Personally, I think that he's got an amazing future ahead of him. I don't necessarily mean in the public eye, but I think that he's got that personality that can let him find something in nothing.

Also... I really really want to buy some of the stuff at his online store. If I have my way I'm getting that bright pink tote-bag with Jay Circles! I've been wanting one of those ever since we saw that home visit and I saw a bag with Jay Circles sitting on a chair.

Lenora said...

Great interview guys! Not to complain but I hope we get a new Musical Monday post soon!

Now, onto this. I think Jay is very talented and will be successful with whatever he does; he's just not cut out for the high pressure world that is couture. I think it's great that he's realized that and is doing what makes him happy.
I think this season Project Runway finally got what they were looking for, a designer who wants to be a couture designer and do shows at Bryant Park. I think that may be why we are seeing so much of Christian around. It only took four seasons but I think he was the outcome they were hoping for.
Anyway, I hope Jay continues to do is thing and is happy.