Whetting Your Appetites

Thursday, November 08, 2007 by

First up: an interview with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn:

How does the cast of fourth season compare to previous seasons?

Tim Gunn: With each successive season of "Project Runway," at least in my view, the group of designers has been stronger and stronger. And Season Four is our strongest group yet.

Heidi Klum: I think it had something to do with that so many people see the credibility of the show and [the contestants] really have to have talent in order to succeed. I think that people see that and they go, "OK. Wow. This could be a really big opportunity for me."

Who comes up with the challenges and how are they kept interesting every year?

HK: We all do. I mean there's, you know, people from Bravo ... I've come up with some of the challenges and basically we all kick them around. And then ... whatever challenges are the best, they make it. One challenge that I came up was, for example, that made it on the show that I thought was really great and everyone loved was "Clothes Off Your Back."

Who was your favorite/hated designer?

HK: My favorite drama queen really was [Season Two contestant] Santino [Rice], I have to say. He was not only a great designer but ... the things that came out of his mouth sometimes were just unbelievable ... I just kind of liked that ... he was so blunt and just straight forward. But at the same time, he made it on there because he was really good and ultimately he made it all the way to the end.

TG: I found Santino to also be very lovable. But I had a kind of relationship with him because I was in the workroom with him all the time.

Give us the scoop on the new season.

HK: There's always lots and lots of drama. We always put a twist [on the show] because that is the most exciting things ... I love it when I can break the news to [the contestants] that some things are going a little different this time around ... There are definitely twists.

TG: We had one designer who had a difficult time with the experience of the show ... When I probed and asked, "Why does all this surprise you? You've seen the show." And the response was, "Why I didn't think it was really the way that it appeared on television. I thought that it was all cheated and that in fact there were days for these challenges and breaks in between."

Next: PREVIEW, POODLES!


And our good friend Mo Ryan has a bunch of spoilerific preview clips.

(Photo: Bravotv)

31 comments:

Zoë Malachi said...

thanks so much, boys—you amazingly endless resource of pr goodies!

even though my hubby denies that he's as addicted as i am, when he got home from work, he said, "are we watching project runway tonight?" when i told him that it doesn't start until next wed, he looked quite disappointed. ha--no one can resist the runway! :)

much love, zoë

nilvento said...

Can't wait for the new season to start...thanks for the preview!

yawningdog said...

I thought the guy from the Museum of Science and Industry didn't get on. Isn't that what he said in the other video interview?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait!!!

Anonymous said...

"TG: I found Santino to also be very lovable. But I had a kind of relationship with him because I was in the workroom with him all the time."


Tim, honey...pass the joint.

Anonymous said...

I still don't like Jillian.

"I don't want THOSE girls taking up my space."

What girls dear?

Anonymous said...

All I could see was Rami in a tank top. HOT!

Anonymous said...

This morning it occurred to me that it's not only PR being back on the air, but also Tim's podcasts, BPR, T-Lo, fourfour, Manolo the shoeblogger, and on & on.

It basically takes over my life. I can't freaking wait!

Anonymous said...

So Excited! For the first time when project runway airs I have access to Bravo on my own TV. Previously I would have to furiously catch up with visiting my mother, or reading wonderful blogs such as yours. This is going to be the best season!

GothamTomato said...

So Carmen is a model-- THAT explains why she looked better than most of the runway models in the show the other day. She walked that runway at the end, completely self-posessed.

And yes, Rami is bringing the hot, but I'm really loving Jack.

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

Yawningdog (cute name!)said ":I thought the guy from the Museum of Science and Industry didn't get on. Isn't that what he said in the other video interview?"

Steven tried out for Season 3, and, though he was close, didn't get on.

Since the MSI is just a couple of blocks from where I live, I suppose I'll have to root for him!

Anonymous said...

You got that right sister - Jack is the designer my whole office is loving.

Anonymous said...

It seems that Tim says that, about this group being the most talented yet, and anyone of them could win it, in every interview. To me it looks like there is a wide variety of talent and ability just like in the past seasons. I can't wait for your break down of the designs. My computer is too slow to view the videos.

Anonymous said...

In the meantime, T&L, do you know why we haven't yet gotten access to the episode #5 of Project Runway Canada? (wo)Man cannot live on PR4 previews alone, y'know.

Anonymous said...

" Zoë Malachi said...

thanks so much, boys—you amazingly endless resource of pr goodies!

even though my hubby denies that he's as addicted as i am, when he got home from work, he said, "are we watching project runway tonight?" when i told him that it doesn't start until next wed, he looked quite disappointed. ha--no one can resist the runway! :)

much love, zoë"


My boyfriend does the same thing. He loves the show. He says he loves Heidi. LOL.

Anonymous said...

" Melissa said...

"TG: I found Santino to also be very lovable. But I had a kind of relationship with him because I was in the workroom with him all the time."


Tim, honey...pass the joint."


I agree, there's nothing lovable about Santino. I can't believe that that's Heidi's favorite.

Anonymous said...

Jillian's voice is so high pitched and whiney.

Lisette said...

Oh, Santino made such good television though! I am going to have to fight my husband and daughter to watch PR.
My husband says he doesn't like it but he keeps asking when it starts. The kid wants to watch the episodes on the first night and she's only 7! No way is she staying up that late!

DolceLorenzo said...

Rami needs to be the first one aufed or I won't be able to concentrate and watch the other designers. The man is HOT!!!

Santino adorable? Alright then, if you say so, Tim.

Anonymous said...

"Give us the scoop on the new season.

HK: There's always lots and lots of drama. We always put a twist [on the show] because that is the most exciting things ... I love it when I can break the news to [the contestants] that some things are going a little different this time around ... There are definitely twists."


I curious to see what these "twists" will entail because one thing that I really liked about Project Catwalk was that they were basically the same challenges they had here in the US, but with a twist,and always an interesting one.

Anonymous said...

DanielDC said...
All I could see was Rami in a tank top. HOT!

11:29 AM

Please, can the Magic Elves please give us Rami in a tank top all the time??????????

GothamTomato said...

I have to say, I love that graphic of the spool with all the designers tied on. Now if only Heidi & Tim were wearing boots and riding crops, the picture would be perfect.

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

I think Rhami is sallow and unappealing.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm not sure I can wait. PR Canada would help...hint hint.

It is quite the tasty selection of fellas, how do they concentrate?

And, for the record, I rather thought Santino was a bit adorable. Not so much his designs, but anyone with that TG imitation has my love.

Carmen's Flock of Seagulls is making me a little sad.

Anonymous said...

I too am not surprised by Santino being adorable. Yes, he acted like an ass, but at least he was entertaining and apologized in the end. Plus, who knows what we DIDNT see.

Anonymous said...

sallow??

lisasabatier said...

I CAN'T WAIT!

Anonymous said...

Yes, sallow. It's a verb meaning of a sickly yellowish hue or complexion.

CtDesigner said...

I love PR.
I love the challenges.
I love meeting each new group of designers.
I love the different points of view.
I love the discussions among the judges.
I love the Finale.

But most of all-I love, love, love seeing Nina Garcia, how she dresses and her fashion perspective.

She whets my appetite.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait!!! This season is going to be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I like the spool graphic too. But doesn't it look like the mini Jillian is looking up Heidi's dress? And St. Tim kind of has a hyper realistic look going on.