The Un-Jay.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 by


Gay rag Next Magazine has an interview with soon-to-be-PRGay-favorite Chris March:

"I see why people would make the comparison," March laughs, referencing the first season's winner, Jay McCarroll. "There are some physical similarities, and we're both kind of funny-outrageous types, but in truth, I think Jay and I are completely different people."

"My whole hook for the show is that I'm an outrageous costume designer and drag queen, so how could I possibly make it in fashion?"

"I think that my experience doesn't necessarily lend itself that well to fashion," he says, "but it does lend itself very well to being on Project Runway."

"Every client that I've worked for and all my friends have said, 'You should try to be on Project Runway.' I didn't really have time to audition, but he encouraged me to come and the rest is history. I've always wanted to be a fashion designer so when they offered me the opportunity I decided to take it."

"I can go way up or I can bring it down," says March, confident that his skills in costuming translate to wearable fashion. "You need to come up with your own individual style and you need to own it, even if it's a little crazy. People who take risks are the ones who change the world."

"It's almost like it didn't happen," he says, "but the show's going to remind me of exactly what really did happen. [Doing the show was] kind of like you stepped through the TV screen on to Project Runway, like Dorothy stepped into Oz...all of a sudden you're standing there, and there's Tim and there's Heidi and there's Michael and Nina, and there's the runway and you're one of the designers and you're going 'Is this really happening?' It's crazy!"

(Photo:

26 comments:

DolceLorenzo said...

That picture is FABULOUS! They both look awesome. Fun read, boys!
Chris is very talented. His stuff is amazing.

Anonymous said...

I actually picked him to win the whole thing, based on that last dress in his mini-collection. Anyone who normally designs for Cirque du Soleil and can still deliver something that wearable and lovely deserves to win.

Giselle "Hinata" Ascott said...

Jay is my absolutely quintessential favorite of all three seasons. So I'm glad this guy isn't parading himself as the new Jay (despite the similarities in physical appearance and flamboyancy). Still, what is he trying to say by "My hook on the show is la-dee-da-dee-da and no way in hell I could make it in fashion in real life!" Ugh, just another sad reminder of how hollow these new characters are.

stmkent said...

Is that Ms. Cayne? Fierceness. And I love Chris already--it's hard for me to resist cute sissybears.

GothamTomato said...

""It's almost like it didn't happen," he says, "but the show's going to remind me of exactly what really did happen."



Hmmm...is this a giveaway that he didn't make the top 4?

--GothamTomato

Suzanne said...

I see a big difference between Jay and CHris already. Chris seems very down to earth...Jay got weird after he won.

Our PR viewing crew is a sofa full of dancers and choreographers. Chris is our peeps. GO CHRIS!!

GothamTomato said...

I like him. Anyone who works with the circus & hangs out at Lucky Cheng's is OK in my book.

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

I love him! Cirque du Soleil, Madonna...how fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Chris March and Candis Cayne!!! It doesn't get any better or gayer than that. Thanks for the link, bitches.

Anonymous said...

GothamTomato said...
""It's almost like it didn't happen," he says, "but the show's going to remind me of exactly what really did happen."



Hmmm...is this a giveaway that he didn't make the top 4?



I was thinking that too. But he could just be blowing smoke up our asses, who knows. I bet he will be a fun one to watch anyway. I hope he doen't get kicked off to early.

Ursa said...

GAH! That picture perfectly illustrates why I need Tivo (or something) - my new favorite addiction (DirtySexyMoney) is on at the same time as my old favorite addiction ... guess I just need to figure out that ancient VCR and watch DSM later ... *sigh!*

Anonymous said...

I love his sense of humor. I do hope he doesn't get eliminate early. He sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

"Ursa said...

GAH! That picture perfectly illustrates why I need Tivo (or something) - my new favorite addiction (DirtySexyMoney) is on at the same time as my old favorite addiction ... guess I just need to figure out that ancient VCR and watch DSM later ... *sigh!*"


I LOVE LOVE the show and at first I had no idea Candis Caynes was a tranny. She's fabulous. Chris is one of my favorite S4 designers.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Chris rocks!

Anonymous said...

I love my gays!

Anonymous said...

Candis looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Chris March is the coolest thing since sliced bread!

Anonymous said...

I think Chris March's skills are more avant garde than actual fashion design. But who knows? Maybe he'll surprise all of us on the show.

Anonymous said...

Chris says in his bio that he specializes in clothes with a classic inspiration, but updated with humor, extravagance and a twist. I can't wait to see his creations. Are they going to look costume-y?

Crow Winters said...

His first challenge outfit was my pick to win, I was kind of shocked he wasn't in the top 3 and Victorya and Christian were.

SUS said...

I was expecting him to sound like Jay, but really he sounded more like Nathan Lane!

elcynic said...

I'm just happy they finally got an honest to god drag queen on there. I mean really, it's about time.

Anonymous said...

Crow winters, I totally agree, the outfit was dramatic, fun, a little drag-esque, and that color was so in your face.

I hope he sticks around for a while and shows those smart ass gay zygotes a thing or two.

Anonymous said...

Crow winters, I totally agree, the outfit was dramatic, fun, a little drag-esque, and that color was so in your face.

I hope he sticks around for a while and shows those smart ass gay zygotes a thing or two.

Anonymous said...

(dammit, first episode and already a double post, sorry guys)

Cornellian said...

He's already my favorite