All Gunn, All the Time.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 by


St. Tim has been making the press rounds to flog his upcoming Guide To Style show (debuting tomorrow on Bravo), so that means we get to read LOTS of Tim-isms. His latest sitdown with the Seattle Post-Intelligencer was choice with big words and blunt opinions. To wit:

On PR Season 4:
"The pool is the best yet," he said then, and has said since. "We could have cast three seasons from this group, that's how strong it is. ... I'm confident about the level of talent, and the point of view as designers and their level of execution."

On his book:
"Gunn explained the absence of "Project Runway" references in "A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style" thusly. "There were two references to the show in my book," he said. "Very matter-of-fact, in sentences like, 'As I would say to my students at Parsons and the 'Project Runway' designers ... .' Then it was in my bio in the book, and it was on the cover flap. It all had to be removed. "

On his show:
"The Weinstein company went ballistic when they heard about the Tim Gunn show, and they claimed that they owned it. Can you believe that?"

"Gunn's "fashion accomplice" on the show is Veronica Webb, a choice that, three days before production was supposed to commence in May, he was unaware of.

"They have a little bit to work out in terms of onscreen chemistry but, to use his words, they'll make it work. And he loves Webb. "I feel like we're siblings. I feel like I've known her my whole life. In some ways, we can finish each other's sentences. In other ways, we're really, really different, and that's good. We don't' share all the same opinions about things."

On Top Design:
"It was terrible. That whole show was terrible. And the executive producer is my producer, Scott Stone. And I love Scott. He's done a wonderful job. I just can't understand – how did that show get to be so terrible? 'See you later, decorator,' coming out of Jonathan Adler's mouth? I love Jonathan! I never met Todd Oldham, but I have such respect for him. And he was so horrible."

"I couldn't stand Kelly Wearstler (one of the judges). I have to say I like Margaret Russell (editor in chief of Elle Décor magazine, and another judge) a lot, but she looked decidedly uncomfortable in that whole thing. And I love Jonathan Adler personally, but he began to grate on me, too!"

Read the entire article here.

(Photo: Sylvain Gaboury/FilmMagic.com)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

My god! He can be chatty, can't he?

Anonymous said...

HA! Glad Gunn didn't enjoy Top Design either. Overwhelmed by joy with the thought of any mainstream advocation of male fashion. I could rant for hours about the lack of it. I'm excited for the new runway but mannnn we have to wait quite the amount of time. Here's to hoping the season delivers.

Anonymous said...

I hope Harvey Weinstein doesn't have Tim killed for that.

Gorgeous Things said...

I have to admit, I can't wait for Tim's show to start, just because I'm getting tired of reading about it and him. Don't get me wrong, I adore Tim and hang on his every word. I get the same way about the Patriots and the NFL preseason. This is the time when I start thinking, 'Enough talking, let's see some action, people!'

Sewhat? said...

Tim's comments about "Top Design" echoed and illuminated EVERYTHING I said about that show. Thank you for putting it so well, Tim.

Gotta love McScrooge Weinstein.

Can't wait for the show.

Anonymous said...

Tim is so teflon. He can say anything, and does. Lovehimmeanit!

But, what? No mention of Sheer Genius? ;-)

Anonymous said...

And another lovely one from Maureen Ryan at the Chicago Trib.

Favorite line: "Tim Gunn is a precious natural resource, and one that must be conserved and valued." I couldn't agree more.

GothamTomato said...

"The Weinstein company went ballistic when they heard about the Tim Gunn show, and they claimed that they owned it. Can you believe that?"



Yes. Harvey Weinstein has the reputation for being a putz.

--Gotham Tomato

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Tim's comments!

Anonymous said...

HA! Tim hated Top Design. How funny!

Anonymous said...

"I couldn't stand Kelly Wearstler (one of the judges). I have to say I like Margaret Russell (editor in chief of Elle Décor magazine, and another judge) a lot, but she looked decidedly uncomfortable in that whole thing. And I love Jonathan Adler personally, but he began to grate on me, too!"

Spot-on comment! Bravo isn't going to be happy with this article.

Tundrababe said...

I love Tim Gunn. What a great article! He's so right about all of it. Top Design sucked! I can't believe how stupid the Weinstein's are being. Cherish him, dammit! And Veronica Webb...who made that choice? I just thought that sounded bizarre. I'm not surprised they don't have chemistry (yet?). Why would they need anyone else? And why would they pick someone so opposite?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was highly surprised with some of his comments. Tim is so PC.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article, Boys! Thanks for the link.

" Anonymous said...

I hope Harvey Weinstein doesn't have Tim killed for that. "

Me2

Anonymous said...

I'm just waiting for the beach front airplane advertising banners saying "Watch Tim Gunn. Eat Tim Gunn. Drink Tim Gunn."

DolceLorenzo said...

Oh honey, you don't F with a queen. Harvey Weinstein, darling, you better watch your ass!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they made Tim remove all PR references from his book. They should thank him for mentioning the show.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for Tim. This man has com a long, long way, and he deserves every bit of the fame and adulation being lavished on him.

Anonymous said...

"Bravo's going to kill me for saying this," Gunn said back then, "but I'm going to say it anyway."

I'm glad Tim is not afraid to tell it like it is to the major media, so I admire him for that.

Anonymous said...

I need Tim's help! I'm in desperate need of a makeover. I have had the same hairstyle and worn the same makeup for years because I'm afraid to try something new.

Anonymous said...

"Watch what happens!" Tim's show cancelled or his PR contract negotiations will become eerily protracted. I can almost guarantee it.