Malan Breton on Australia's Next Top Model

Thursday, June 26, 2008 by
Darlings, our very own Malan Breton from Taiwan appeared on Australia's Next Top Model.



The three finalists, Alexandra Girdwood, Samantha Downie, and Demelza Reveley went to New York and modeled for Malan's retrospective show at the Eli Fine Gallery in New York.


Since once again the topic du jour in the fashion industry revolves around models, we sat the Suave One down to answer a few questions about the event and modeling in general.

Darling, how did this opportunity come about for you?
I was chatting with my business partner about doing a retrospective of my work, including pieces prior to Project Runway. I received a call two days later saying that Australia's Next Top Model wanted to host the show and feature their final three girls.

Tell us a little bit about the whole experience.
It was fascinating being back under the eye of the reality camera! I found myself incredibly shy, but after a bit you, forget that they are there and it was different not being a contestant this time, rather being a host of sorts. the girls were so open to new things. They were very excited to be in NYC and I think it was Alex who had seen me on Project Runway, she was very sweet. When I met the girls I was so shy and got so tongue tied. Then having to sit through my own show was... well we never get to do that, it was fascinating and nerve wrecking at the same time, thank god people like the clothes. The music we used for the show and everything fit the mood of the gallery so perfectly, I had not done such a small setting in a while and the intimacy was wonderful, with just over a hundred people there.

Any difference between American models and Australian models?
Models are models, I think these girls as it was really their first experience they were so excited and starry eyed, it was very sweet. I will say though on behalf of the show, it is the only franchise in eight years to produce a supermodel, Alice Burdeau, they really know what they are doing in Australia.

What's the most important thing you look for when selecting models?
When I select models I look for girls who fit the mood of my show, who have a strong presence on the catwalk , who every eye goes to when she is in a dress. I also look for girls who are not terribly terribly thin, I look for fresh faces that are very confident.

Any backstage model story/dish you want to share?
Oh my darlings, the beaver corset from my Fall 2005 Collection, which you see me talking about on the outtakes video on the ANTM site. Apparently the girls had to do a tampon commercial as one of their challenges, and they had a puppet that was a beaver they had to talk to and the slogan was "love your beaver" no joke ! So when they saw the sheered beaver corset, well I'm sure you can imagine...

Favorite model?
I had two favourites Demelza, who received a lot of harsh commentary by the NY offices about her weight. Darlings, she is 16, just barely a girl. Then there was Samantha, One of the most exotic beauties that I have ever seen, Like Helena Christensen beautiful. I loved Alex but her walk in my retrospective was a concern.

What do you think about the whole all-black Vogue Italia issue/statement?
I think it's about time!!! I try to have a very diverse mix of girls on the catwalk because my clients are diverse, I get so tired of calling agencies and hearing we have only one Asian girl, only one black girl. I look at a lot of the innovators like Yves Saint Laurent, and Hubert de Givenchy who were the first designers to have diverse showings. These men were genius. I still do not understand why there is racism in fashion. I remember once telling someone, who will remain nameless, that I was going to close my collection with an Asian model, the first thing that was said to me was, you should rethink that...Can you imagine?!? I am so happy to see these beautiful women celebrated.





[Photos: WireImage/Landmark Media - Video: YouTube/kimmikimmileon]


Post a Comment

42 comments:

Gorgeous Things said...

Good for Malan!

But but but.... a retropsective? Good for him!

Anonymous said...

Love Malan and excited for his success post PR.

Love your beaver??? That's just an awful, awful idea for a friggin TAMPON commerical.

mjude said...

love him, miss him. thanks for sharing. he is just so adorable!

as for the beaver....LOL

Anonymous said...

Maddie and Christian Merry (snowflakebebe) are in there! See lookie!!!

GothamTomato said...

Could Malan be any more adorable? And he's just a nice, nice guy. He deserves every success.

--GothamTomato

Bill said...

Malan also appeared with some of the man candy at the Broadway Bares fundraiser (an annual striptease show) this past Sunday night.

Click on View Photos and then hit previous and page back to photo #63.

And while we're on Broadway, Frau Seal stopped by The Little Mermaid the other day sans designer togs and makeup.

DolceLorenzo said...

How adorable!!! They looked amazing in Malan's clothes. Thank you for the Q&A, boys!

Anonymous said...

what a classy guy. I can't wish him better success.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, darlings, you and Malan!

Lilithcat said...

A retrospective????? The guy is, what, 35? He hasn't lived long enough, much less been in business long enough, for that.

You have retrospectives when you've been at the top for 35 years, not on your 35th birthday.

Anonymous said...

Malan is such a charming gentleman.
I’m happy for his success. He’s a very smart guy.

Anonymous said...

"Apparently the girls had to do a tampon commercial as one of their challenges, and they had a puppet that was a beaver they had to talk to and the slogan was"love your beaver" no joke !"

LOL. Are they serious? Oh my god.

Congrats, Malan! I ran into you once about six months ago and you were so sweet. I'll never forget that.

Sewing Siren said...

Every thing about him is attractive to me.

Anonymous said...

"I loved Alex but her walk in my retrospective was a concern."

Her walk was AWFUL. I felt bad for her.

Congrats, Malan!

Anonymous said...

I thought the show was very glamorous with plenty beautiful gowns. Malan is very old Hollywood glamor : )

Kanani said...

I love Malan. But I have to agree a retrospective is a bit premature.

By the way, we're having a retrospective of all of TLo's PRG posts. We're serving mojitos.

Anonymous said...

Samantha Downie is fierce. I hope she wins.

Anonymous said...

What a doll he is.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, beautiful and inspiring! Congratulations, dahling!

Anonymous said...

Malan is such a nice, classy guy. I am so happy for his success post Runway. I don't think he could be rude or snotty if someone had a gun to his head. "Her walk was a concern" - what a gracious understatement. Poor girl looked like a bobble head giraffe.

FashionFanatic said...

Congratulations, Malan!

FashionFanatic said...

Anonymous said...
"Her walk was a concern" - what a gracious understatement. Poor girl looked like a bobble head giraffe.


ROFL. It was painful to watch. I don't even understand how on earth she came this far in the competition

Anonymous said...

While a retrospective of Malan's work at his age and stage of his career definitely seems a bit premature, I applaud him for his post-PR accomplishments. What fools they were to auf him so early on! Glad to see that such a talented, professional, sweet and classy guy is making it in the industry.

Anonymous said...

I can just hear Malan's adorable voice in my head answering your interview questions. What a sweetie.


~ no burlap ~

Lilithcat said...

Kanani said, we're having a retrospective of all of TLo's PRG posts. We're serving mojitos.

When? Where? Are we all invited? I've got some lovely mint growing on my back porch. I'll bring some!

Anonymous said...

I was thrilled to see him in one of my favorite shows! Thank you for this, guys!

Suzanne said...

And a BIG thank you from we "not terribly thin" girls!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Malan! I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Malan seemed very nice and genuine on the show. He really cared about the models and tried to make them as comfortable as possible.

Anonymous said...

"Any backstage model story/dish you want to share?
Oh my darlings, the beaver corset from my Fall 2005 Collection, which you see me talking about on the outtakes video on the ANTM site. Apparently the girls had to do a tampon commercial as one of their challenges, and they had a puppet that was a beaver they had to talk to and the slogan was "love your beaver" no joke ! So when they saw the sheered beaver corset, well I'm sure you can imagine..."


That's so funny!

lilacsigil said...

The beaver thing is totally weird because we don't even use that word in Australia. I thought it must be an imported US ad!

Anonymous said...

This is a link to the beaver challenge on youtube. LOL!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xpAMnKi5rys

sassy said...

malan was so so sweet on top model! diplomatic and charming to everyone - even jodhi the host who couldn't get his name right.

I loved him on project runway and he was as adorable as always in this ep and I was overjoyed when he finally laughed his hysterical laugh.

I think he has great taste too - samantha is incredible and even though she was booted, I think she'll definitely go the furthest of the three. it's a pity they didn't have malan on the judging panel to give feedback.

Anonymous said...

This just reminded me of all the reasons I adore Malan.

Anonymous said...

Malan is such a sweetheart! I am so happy he is doing well. I thought his designs were beautiful.
-----StkrShock

Teresa said...

What kind of sick world do we live in where Demelza is considered "heavy"? Dear God, the poor girl looked like a stick in this video.

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous said...

This is a link to the beaver challenge on youtube. LOL!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xpAMnKi5rys

12:09 AM"


Now THAT is weird.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely terrific. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Actually the Beaver campaign has really taken off (pre ANTM) in Australia and is quite successful, its not "Love your beaver" its "You only have one, Take care down there" obviously the beaver is a metaphor, its a cheeky, cute campaign aimed at a younger generation, and quite refreshing than the riding on horses along the beach in tight white pants.

Anonymous said...

Sam rocks! She's my favorite!!!

Anonymous said...

Alice Burdeu really is fantastic.

Shockingly, someone from a "top-something" show actually ended up living the dream.

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for this to show up on here! Malan was just adorable on the show!

The U Tampon commercial is hideous. Really. I will never buy U tampons just because of that commercial.


Only 9 more days until Project Runway Australia begins!! Huzzah!