The Tom & Lorenzo Archives: 2006 -2011
Our current site is here: www.tomandlorenzo.com

MMAS: T Lo Interviews Branden




Congratulations, Branden! You’re the winner, can you believe it?
Oh, no man, it’s insane. I still can’t believe it.

Was it tough to keep it a secret for so long?

Yeah, actually, it was kind of tough, but it comes down to the decision of "Would you rather tell someone or would you rather win?" That’s what I told my mom too because she’s the only one who knew about it.

How did it feel to be the youngest in the competition to win?
That’s was amazing because not only I won the competition, but I was the youngest. It’s like a little kid beating up an 18-year-old. It’s awesome because I took on all these grownups who were supposed to know what they were doing and they didn’t.

Especially competing against Sandhurst and Jonathan at the end.
Those two…I cannot believe that I beat them. They’re two of the coolest guys I’ve ever met in my life. They were definitely the strongest competition in the whole show and I can’t believe that I took it at the end.

It was nice to see how happy they were for you even though they didn’t win.
They’re really good sports and that’s what was so awesome about it. I was really touched when Jonathan made the “that kid did well” comment and he gave me a hug, that was awesome.

We saw potential in you ever since we saw that candy shot. The transformation was amazing. We know you had a lot of doubts, but was there any point in the competition where you said to yourself, “I can win this?"
You know, actually, at the beginning when I won immunity and when I won the photoshoot. I thought," I got this, that’s a piece of cake." I was so wrong because two weeks after that I was at the bottom one inch away from getting sent home. That changed things and in the last episode for some reason I thought I had a chance because I knew I did a great job with the Cosmopolitan shoot and the Timothy Greenfield-Sanders' shoot. That was a great shoot for me, I did an exceptional job on that.

How was the experience working with Timothy Greenfield-Sanders? He has photographed from world leaders to major cultural figures.
Oh, he is such a cool guy. He’s so smart and he knows fashion, he’s brilliant behind the camera. He knows how to get your inner beauty.

The judges felt that you had a lot of potential and some of the other models felt you didn’t perform well enough throughout the competition to win. What do you think made you win?
I think what made me win is that I went in this competition with no fears of doing anything. I did everything I was asked whether was getting naked or posing with a dude, whether I felt uncomfortable or not, I still did it without any questions. I put my all in everything. There was not one time where I didn’t try my hardest. I took direction every week, I listened. Before a photoshoot, I would sit there and think about what the judges said the week before. I really tried my hardest the whole time and I really thought I deserved it.

Your mother seemed so sweet and very supportive of you.
You know, my mom and I….we love each other so much. I’ll be always there for her. She raised me since I was a kid and now it’s my chance to help her. She’s getting older, she needs my help and support now. She doesn’t have a boyfriend or anything, she feels she doesn’t need one, she’s having fun with her life. She loves her job, which is kind of strange because she works at Albertson’s, but she’s happy there and she’s such a great woman. She made me have such respect for women. Our relationship is just amazing.

That must have been quite an experience for you both to see all your photos displayed at a gallery.

That was such a cool experience. That was such a surprise. I thought we were going to a museum or something but when I turned that corner and I saw all those huge pictures of all three of us, I ran in and I saw mine. They were huge. It was amazing to see all our best shots like that.

Your mother said that she sent a boy to the competition and she got a man in return. Do you feel that you grew throughout the competition?
I definitely did. I was in high school, being a dumb teenager; I was partying all the time, having fun and stuff. When I got back I was a lot more mature. I’m looking for my goals now, I’m thinking of my future now, making money and supporting myself.

You lit up every time you saw Nicole. Did you have a crush on her?
Oh, man, she’s so hot. I love her. She’s so nice and so beautiful.

What did you think of the judges in general?
I thought all the judges were really cool. They were all unique and different, even though Perou was a dick sometimes, made fun of me; you have to respect him because that’s how some people are in the industry. It’s a tough industry and you’re always going to be criticized no matter what.

Do you get in touch with the other models?
Not really, just Shawn and Sandhurst.

What was your favorite photoshoot?
I’d say the nude shoot. The photographer and I didn’t get along for some reason even though I was doing exactly what he was asking me to do, I didn’t like him at all, but I love the shot, it’s my favorite show of the whole season; that and the Timothy Greenfield-Sanders' one.

What are you doing with the money?
I’m going to give some money to my mom and I’m moving to NY. I’m moving in with Sandhurst. I can’t wait.

Well, good luck to you, Branden. We'll look for you in the magazines and runway shows.
Thank you for your support.

[Photos: BravoTV.com]

Post a Comment
51 comments:

Oh So BE-UTIFUL! I love how sweet he is ... look forward to seeing lots more of him - and as always GREAT job you two!

Rebekah in MN


He's such a cute kid.

Still kinda cocky, but he seems to know how to moderate it better. And he just sounds like a typical 18-y.o. No harm there.

Wish him and his mom the best!


He's a good kid and I love that he has so much respect for his mom.


And special props to TLo for getting the bizness on all of these guys.

Honestly, I could tell you girls loved writing about Branden. You had some really funny comments for him. They were funny and bitchy, but all said with love.

You're some classy dames!


He's so cute. Good luck, Branden!


Awwww, he's such a sweetie! <3 <3 <3 That's so nice that he gave the money to his mom.


"Boobs!" I'll never forget him saying that. It was so funny. I never thought he would win against Sandhurst or Johnathan, but he did a great job. Congrats!


go do good things, Brandon. We'll be watching for you.


Guys, I can't believe you didn't mention the 'especially not gay' comment. LOL, still so funny. He was so green then.


What a sweetheart. Congratulations, Branden. You earned it.

Great job with these interviews, TLo.


Let's be honest: Sandhurst and Jonathan are better models currently. They can book jobs now and be busy, good models.... but long term they have fewer years to work.

"The Boy" was chosen because he has better long-term potential and more of the younger look currently being seen in the industry (welcome to the world of teenage modeling just like women have seen for years).

so, indeed, he may be better able to be MADE into a Supermodel... more potential, like the name of the show suggests.

But he is NOT better than Jonathan & Sandhurst.


She raised me since I was a kid and now it’s my chance to help her.

I don't speak 18-Year-Old. What does that phrase mean?

He seems like a slightly gawky sweet guy, though. A few bumps along the road of life will tamper that down, though.

I wish him the best and hope he maintains his balance.


It means that he feels he's enough of an adult now to assist his mother.

You don't have to be 18 to understand that.


Reign it in, Branden. Don't let it all go to your head. You did good, but it could have gone either way.


Hey T.LO, have you considered interviewing Colin? I know that he didn't lastthat long, but he's my favourite and I'd love to learn more about him.


Anonymous
6/14/09 1:04 PM

Let's be honest: Sandhurst and Jonathan are better models currently. They can book jobs now and be busy, good models.... but long term they have fewer years to work.

"The Boy" was chosen because he has better long-term potential and more of the younger look currently being seen in the industry (welcome to the world of teenage modeling just like women have seen for years).

so, indeed, he may be better able to be MADE into a Supermodel... more potential, like the name of the show suggests.

But he is NOT better than Jonathan & Sandhurst.

Exactly.


potty mouth princess

Sandhurst will "rein him in." That young man is very centered and driven. He'll be a great influence for Branden in all aspects of his life.


"She loves her job, which is kind of strange because she works at Albert’s, but she’s happy there and she’s such a great woman."

HA! Such a kid thing to say...how could Mom like working at ALBERT'S? Heh.

What a sweetheart.


Anonymous 1:36 said It means that he feels he's enough of an adult now to assist his mother.

You don't have to be 18 to understand that.


As a former 18-year-old, lemme just say 'd'uh'.

What I don't understand is what he means by She raised me since I was a kid...

So... what, he's not her biological mother or he's just not getting 'A's in English grammar and what he was trying to suggest was something along the lines of 'she raised me as a single mom since I was a kid'?


Interesting that he's still in contact with Shawn. I don't think we saw them interact much on the show. Much respect to a young, cute straight guy who knew NOTHING about the gays when he started, but knew himself well enough not to be threatened by the unfamiliar, enough to befriend an openly gay man. Nice.


Branden said in the interview:
"It’s awesome because I took on all these grownups who were supposed to know what they were doing and they didn’t."

I'm a bit miffed at this statement.
WHAT? The "grownups" didn't know what they were doing??
Sorry, but I just don't think the kid is all that great. Ok..so Sandhurst and Jonathan are older and may not have as many years of modeling left as the kid, BUT, I still think Branden is a mama's boy and green behind the ears, so it may take a few years to MAKE him a model, let alone supermodel.
It's a good thing that he will be roomies with Sandhurst, because I think Sandhurst will keep a close eye on the kid and be a great mentor.


I like that he acknowledged the importance of the photographer(s), their perspective and abilities. I often wonder at how anyone can talk about the results of a fashion shoot without addressing how the photographer and model worked together & facilitated each other's abilities, or didn't.


So for those of us who don't know, what is Albert's? I'm very curious.

While I'm glad he loves his Mom so much, and appreciates her sacrifices, he talks about her like she's in her 80s. Just because someone is older than 45 doesn't mean they're decrepit, Branden.


Ehh. I definitely think he won because of his youth and potential. I thought his walk was still a little awkward even at the end. He did grow during the show and is a sweet kid.

"It’s awesome because I took on all these grownups who were supposed to know what they were doing and they didn’t" just hit me wrong. I don't think everyone else had been a model previously and he proceeded to wipe the floor with them. Sandhurst and Jonathan now seem ready to work anywhere in the world while B. still needs more fine tuning.

I guess I was disappointed at final decision. He just looks like any anonymous kid in any high school. More of a blank canvas and that must be what the judges were looking for. It was a great season and I look forward to the next.


He's very young and from a modest background and therefore has not been exposed to a lot of stuff. I think that is where the "arrogance" that is bothering people perhaps comes from. Both Jonathan and Sandhurst seem fond of him so I think he is a decent person. I was surprised he won but soooo glad. He was the only one who looked like a high fashion model to me. As gorgeous as the other two are.
I think they are all going to do well out of the show. I was pleased to see them as the final three. Finally a reality show that makes the correct decision (well, for me anyway).


"Eric said...
While I'm glad he loves his Mom so much, and appreciates her sacrifices, he talks about her like she's in her 80s. Just because someone is older than 45 doesn't mean they're decrepit, Branden."


How the hell you got that from his answers I don't know. He is just a kid who loves his mom more than anything and he feels he has to take care of her now as a way of thanking her for everything she's done for him. His father left them when he was 2, I believe, I can't remember, he said so in the last episode, and they're very close. That's it. Nothing else. Which is A LOT considering the way kids treat their parents these days.

Great way to spoil a sweet interview, folks!


"CPK said...

He's very young and from a modest background and therefore has not been exposed to a lot of stuff."


Exactly. His mother works at Albert's and they probably had never been to NY before. Give the kid a break.

And for those who apparently skipped right over this:

"They’re two of the coolest guys I’ve ever met in my life."


He had nice things to say about Sandhurst and Jonathan.


I think he'll do well. He's eager to learn and he's very young. Thank you for the interview, guys.


CanIGetYouAnything?

"Citysqwirl said...
Interesting that he's still in contact with Shawn. I don't think we saw them interact much on the show. Much respect to a young, cute straight guy who knew NOTHING about the gays when he started, but knew himself well enough not to be threatened by the unfamiliar, enough to befriend an openly gay man. Nice."

Wow, well said, Citysqwirl! That didn't even occurred to me.


He has everything to be a great model, all he needs is to practice his walk.


"Anonymous said...
And special props to TLo for getting the bizness on all of these guys. "

Yup. Thanks, Tlo!


He reminds me of my son.

Thanks for the interview!


Ew. He could do with a really big shot of humility - it sounds like this has gone to his head a little too much. I know it's very difficult to judge tone from a written interview, and he is still quite young, but given that he's meant to be on track to becoming a supermodel he needs to remember that and develop some maturity, humility and media skills FAST.

And as far as I remember he was asking a helluva lot of questions when it came to 'posing with a dude'.


Great interview! Can't wait for next season.


... reading the comments, I feel sorry for Sandhurst, since I feel like rooming with a guy is not the same thing as signing up to be his life guru. >.> Well, hopefully he too might benefit (professionally?) from Brandon's charming company....

I can't tell how much of this is the guy being arrogant and how much is him sucking up to the judges--like, of course he has to say they chose the best candidates for the final three, and of course that they made the right final decision, right? But good job in complimenting the photographers and such, yes.


I have a crush on a little boy - who was born 30 YEARS after me.

Sigh.


"Let's be honest: Sandhurst and Jonathan are better models currently. They can book jobs now and be busy, good models.... but long term they have fewer years to work."

I don't agree with this statement. I think Branden is a much stronger model than the other two. The judges made the right decision.


For most of us over 40 ladies, Brandon is not classically handsome as say Sandhurst, Jonathan or...Tyson.

However, I can see Brandon doing ads for Hollister and Ambercrombie & Fitch for years to come and then GQ. Send the kid to Milan for one season and he will come back a great walker.

In the meantime, I cannot wait to see Sandhurst in GQ and Vogue front and center in Brooks Brothers ads.

TampaBay


Brandon really does sound like your typical male 18 year old, but there is nothing wrong with that! He is very handsome, and he knows it. He is an amazing model, and he knows it. The one thing that he really has going for him is his respect for women, and that came from his strong and beautiful mother. I am so happy to see him recognize their special relationship in a time when so many teenage boys disrespect their mothers.


Great kid! So sweet that he loves his mom.


He acknowledges his mother's influence in his life. How sweet!
Good luck, Brandon!


I am glad he will be living with Sandhurst, he still has quite a bit of growing up to do.


jessleigh
6/15/09 8:24 AM Brandon really does sound like your typical male 18 year old, but there is nothing wrong with that! He is very handsome, and he knows it. He is an amazing model, and he knows it. The one thing that he really has going for him is his respect for women, and that came from his strong and beautiful mother. I am so happy to see him recognize their special relationship in a time when so many teenage boys disrespect their mothers.





Exactly. I don't know many kids that age who respect their parents like that anymore. If anything, all they talk about is what they should GIVE them.

Instead, Brandon's talking about giving back.

He's a sweetie!


I just want to know if Nicole actually gave him her number (I just watched the finale a couple days ago (better late than never!) and she says she'll give him her number if he wins!)

I thought Branden was young and adorable (being only 2 years older than him I feel weird commenting on how young he is but still...) His interview read to me as a kid, maybe not used to interviewing thats just won a huge contest and can finally brag about it!

And I can't wait to start seeing the other models appearing in ads or on the runways!

Well done guys! I love all your interviews!


bitchybitchybitchy

It will be interesting to see how Branden develops as a model over the next few years.

He doesn't come across to this reader as particularly cocky, but as the 18 year old that he is-he's still wet behind the ears, and has some growing up to do.


Lady Jane Grey

I also wondered whether Nicole ever gave Branden her number. I was hoping he would go into details about the date ;-)


I think I also kinda love Branden's mom.


"What I don't understand is what he means by She raised me since I was a kid..."
I'm pretty sure he meant "by herself."

The boy ain't a rocket scientist, he's a model. I don't think he is that arrogant or cocky. That initial comment he made about the other people knowing so much was, I believe, referring to how he was intimidated by them and felt that they couldn't possibly lose--or he couldn't possibly beat them.

I don't agree that the other two are better models. Yeah, more experienced, but Branden has a more distinctive look. Jonathan is gorgeous, but to me he just kind of faded from the beginning to the end of the series. He was so strong at the beginning he seemed to be a surefire winner, then I think some of the others caught up with him.

Sandhurst was my favorite and I think he will go far. Still, I can understand why they picked Branden. To me, Sandhurst showed a lot of improvement over the course of the show, especially in his pictures. But Branden has a great look that is different and fresh and now.

Sandhurst is also such a sweetie and seemed to look out for the others and take care of them, so he will be a good mentor for Branden.


i too wanna know what Albert's is!


I try not to invest my efforts and emotions into these reality Tv stars regardless of how much I like them because the bitter truth is that will vanish into oblivion. They won't get campaigns, they won't book top fashion shows and they won't do prestigious editorials. Branden better start thinking about college soon.


FYI: Albertson's is a grocery store chain


I never found him "attractive" per se, but boy, the guy sure photographs well, looking at these screen caps of him.

He's definitely model material. He seems like he can really work anything he puts on.





BALMAIN for women

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Loading...

Project Runway